question

paul-dudley avatar image
paul-dudley asked

I have a victron 12v 3000 multi plus inverter charger which is on a 70ft narrow boat . Dose anyone know the best matched petrol or diesel generator i could buy .Would be glad off any help

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alistair Warburton avatar image
Alistair Warburton answered ·

I just bough a Multiplus, all be it a 5000, and I run a Champion duel fuel inverter generator which is working fine.

You probably dont want petrol because you will be paying road duty.

Diesel is OK because you can run kerosean or red, but its dirty and smelly.

LPG/propane will give you slightly less output than the maximum a generator can do on petrol but it is way cheaper and cleaner to handle.

I am not associated with Champion, but my generators, I have two, are great, run 100% of the time on LPG with NO valve issues, despite being run for hours every day during he winter, until recently. I have worked them way harder than they are rated for and the just keep working.

I have seen a few comments about not using inverter base generators with Victron kit, probably not just Victron, but my Multiplus and my generator play very nicely.

I have a BYD 13.8 battery which I took from 15% to 95% in a little under 5 hrs the other evening.

The generator was left with economy on and dutifully backed off when the absorbe phase kicked in.

There are settings in the Multiplus to limit generator load and the rate at which the load is ramped. Seems like a great solution to me.

NB, I am not Victron expert and although I am doing this, and it seems t work well, I may be wrong.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

Have you considered just to add an Alternator/Generator to your long boat engine to charge your battery bank? This way you just use the fuel for your boat.

2 |3000

ripper avatar image
ripper answered ·

Mine is running off a Honda EX7 with 600W with reduced charging amps. That is exactly what I need as it then delivers about C10 charge to the 200Ah batteries. Very light on fuel and one of the quietest Gennies there is.

2 |3000

kai avatar image
kai answered ·

Dpends on how much continuous power you need, space you have (generator & fuel tank(s)), weight limits, portability, etc. More info?

2 |3000