question

thijs avatar image
thijs asked

MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70 continuous overload shutdown

MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70 is shutting down continuously with an overload error after some issues on the grid network.

Batteries are full and the external grid is off (as the mains circuit breaker failed). BlueSolar Charger MPPT 150/70 is connected and providing power (as the sun is up...)

Now the MultiPlus keeps trying to start up, but fails within a couple of seconds with an overload error. However, the circuit breaker towards the load is off as well, so there literally cannot be any load on the inverter at all.

Is this a bricked MultiPlus or is something else going on?

Tried a lot of stuff, including restarting the system through the Color Control GX as well as with the on/off button itself.

Anything else to try?

The system is installed in the south of France, and I'm asking for someone else, so troubleshooting is going to be a pain.

Multiplus-IIerror
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
Martin Coetzee avatar image
Martin Coetzee answered ·

My MP2 was Faulty, it did the same. Was only a few months old.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @thijs,

Please physically disconnect and remove all cables and connections to the Multi except the battery, which you have tested as acceptable voltage at the Multi's battery connection terminals.

If the issue persists, it must be a fault and please get in touch with your installer/dealer, or fill out this form.

2 |3000

menno47 avatar image
menno47 answered ·

Hi Guy Steward,

are there special reasons known for this breakdown? I had no problems for two months and the only reason I can think of was a peak demand of 6 kW yesterday around 10 am. Is this a possible cause?

2 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

This can be a reason for the failure.

Try what Guy wrote. If this doesn't solve the problem, you have to start a RMA.

0 Likes 0 ·

A 6kW load is well within the spec of that inverter. Without knowing exactly what happened then, it is difficult to say what is leading to the issue now.

I first assume that there is an issue external to the unit, bad connection or short somewhere, however once the unit itself is isolated from EVERYTHING ELSE, and if it persists, then something has gone wrong inside.

If you contact your dealer/installer, they can help.

0 Likes 0 ·
zak avatar image
zak answered ·

Hi Thijs,

Just discovering now your initial message, have you solved you problem ?

I also have the Multi 2 48/5000 with CCGX and batteries.

Regards

2 |3000

menno47 avatar image
menno47 answered ·

Dealer replaced the MultiPlus II. After reinstallation the setup works correctly. But up to now Victron could not tell me what caused the problem and so I am still worried that it might breakdown again.

2 |3000

Eujean Hugo avatar image
Eujean Hugo answered ·

I am also concerned - we now have 2 MultiPlus II units - both 3kVa with the overload issue - even with no or very little load present.

The 1 unit up to the point where it goes to overload within a few seconds of starting up - and cant be used at all. The other goes to overload alarm 1 or 2 times a day - with very little load - then error goes away and it keeps going like normal - but I guess it will also fail completely soon.

The number of overload (with no actual overload present) issues reported by clients and installers is a serious concern.

2 |3000

lykke avatar image
lykke answered ·

My new EasySolar 48/5000 have also developed an overload fault; even with no load connected.

The fault is typically preceded by (an arcing?) noise. I have linked to a video where the fault appear after it has been running for 5minutes at about 1900W load. Did you also get this?

I have contacted the dealer to get it repaired.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bd6WXzFSEJHL65CT9

2 |3000

JONI RAVAI avatar image
JONI RAVAI answered ·

We installed a 48/5000 Multiplus II a few months ago and just recently it has been giving overload when no load at all was connected. Found out the Ac output terminal L and N to be shorting. Everything was removed except the battery supply but still it was giving overload alarms and inverter wont come on. Also updated the firmware and thought that it would clear the fault but it didnt. I think there must have been a fault with the Relay but would be great if Victron could assist us with the issue.

2 |3000

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic