question

Tom avatar image
Tom asked

Multiplus 24/3000 starting RV 13500 BTU AC Unit

I have a Multiplus 24/3000 set up in my RV connected to 350 AH of Li Ion batteries. I can used this system to start up and run my 13500 rooftop Air Conditioning unit for many hours. The Multiple has no problems starting the AC unit ( high amp load) or running over time ( lower amp load). I do not have a soft start compasitor installed on the AC unit. Does this present and issues for the Multiplus on excessive stress to start the AC requiring me to add a soft start to the AC unit or should I not be worried about it?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Keith Weinheimer avatar image Keith Weinheimer commented ยท

I have.Quatro 5000/24/120 with battleborn Lithium batteries and I am also considering if I need soft start installed on AC units to use them?

What did you end up doing in your case?

0 Likes 0 ยท
1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ยท

Hi Tom. If the Multi will start and run it, then there's no need for concern.

Note too that 'BTU' units in the AC game don't mean Watts of power drawn, and a direct conversion of those units doesn't apply. For W, look to the ac specs or nameplate on it. (Unlikely it'll offer a start-spike rating though).

Surely you have a breaker in it's supply? If that's not tripping then all's good.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tom avatar image Tom commented ยท

Of course there is a breaker for the AC unit. I think 20 amp. No it is not tripping.

I think the running watts of the Coleman Mach 8 AC unit is about 1600 watts. The start up amps may be as high as 50 amps and the running about 15 amps. My two Tesla modules can put out 300 amps plus but I have the fused with a fast fuse 200 amps and they too seem fine.

I just wanted to be sure these spikes will not damage or limit the life of the Multiplus. Not sure I want to invest $400 for a micro start if not even needed.

Tom

0 Likes 0 ยท