question

billbas avatar image
billbas asked

ip65 12v cable extension

I have a 50amp rated 12v trolling motor socket in my boat connected by a 10 foot 8awg cable to a 100 AH lipo4 battery in the bow...Is there any reason I can't connect my ip65 15 amp charger through that 12v plug to charge the battery at that extended cable length?

wiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alistair Warburton avatar image
Alistair Warburton answered ·

That will be fine... Although I wouldnt be so sure about the trolling motor...

8 AWG is about 8.5mm2 which, at best, is going to get warm at around 40A, the actual installed rating will depend on the cble type and installation method.

It is SELV of course at 12V, so unless it melts or bursts into flames, which the insurance would likely take notice of, I dont think ther are any regulations to worry about.

OF COURSE you still need to be doing things safely and correctly.

Make sure your ciruit protection is adiquate, remember a 150AH battery could dump many hundreds of amps into a faulty charger, almost cirtenly with spectacular and dangerous results.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

billbas avatar image
billbas answered ·

Thanks for the assurance Alistair...FYI..the trolling motor only draws a max of 40 amps...

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic