question

vkdirector avatar image
vkdirector asked

Do I need a BMV if I am using a multiplus?

hey guys

im doing a caravan setup, it will be all 240v and no gas

im using

1 x multiplus 48/5000

2 x smart 150/35

3 x power plus 48v 3.3kw packs

I had put in the order I wanted a bmv, the wholesaler said I wouldn't need one as the multi already has one

now I have read here that the bmv is more accurate

and every wiring diagram I look at is using a bmv

I wont have any dc loads

1) is my wholesaler correct ?

2) would anyone suggest I use a bmv if so why and if not why?

3) and why does every w/diagram show one in use ?

cheers guys

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
vkdirector avatar image
vkdirector answered ยท

sorry forgot to add ill be using a color gx

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic โ™ฆ commented ยท

You don't say the make/model of the batteries, of if you are charging from solar or mains/genset?

0 Likes 0 ยท
vkdirector avatar image vkdirector klim8skeptic โ™ฆ commented ยท

hi klim

charging from solar primarily with a baby honda or yami geni as a backup

this van is being designed for total remote off grid living

ill be using 7 -8 sunpower maxeon 3 400w,

https://www.sunpower.com.au/sites/default/files/2019-07/max3-400-390-370-au_0.pdf

and ill be using the power plus prem 48v

https://www.powerplus-energy.com.au/life-series-premium/

0 Likes 0 ยท
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ยท

Hi VK. Nice system for a caravan.

1. He's 'sorta' right. Not absolutely essential.. but..

2. I *suspect* you wouldn't be happy with less than the best, so go for it. And sometimes just checking your exotic batts, a second opinion? It'll need tuning though.

3. Useful for measuring dc loads, which your other kit doesn't know about. Even just for dc lights, it's a no-brainer.

With your CCGX, and hooked to VRM, your van can stand proud. A BMV is the icing on the cake, your guardian angel..

1 comment
2 |3000

vkdirector avatar image vkdirector commented ยท

Thanks John,

I appreciate u stopping by and taking the time

after reading the replies I think im going to get one like I was in the first place

and yes im looking for a bullet proof system, the best on offer for a caravan situation so u suspected right lol

I will be using the sunpower maxeon 3 400w, with their high voltage it eliminates the need to run in series with I think is a big benefit minimising shad in a caravan scenario

0 Likes 0 ยท
johannes-cronje avatar image
johannes-cronje answered ยท

Hi

Does your batteries have their own bms system that can calculate its state of charge?

1 comment
2 |3000

hi Johannes,

yes they have their own bms and yes a low soc cut off

however to keep the 10 year warranty u can only use to 80% dod so external control required

0 Likes 0 ยท
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ยท

@vkdirector, I absolutely concur with @JohnC... I'd add one more thing, however, which is that there is a significant degree of functionality of the MultiPlus that is added when you have a BMV as well. The best example of this that I can think of is if you'd like your Multi to ignore AC input depending on battery SOC (ie, stay off-grid as much as possible even when connected to shore power). With the BMV, you can connect the relay out of the BMV to one of the Aux Ins of the Multi and then use a combination of three Assistants to tell the Multi to ignore AC power until (for instance) your battery bank reaches 40% SOC, then switch to AC power and charge the batteries to, say, 60% SOC, then go back to ignoring AC input.

The application of this is, for instance, if you're parked and hooked up to shore power but the electricity rates where you're parked are high, so you want to run on solar as much as possible, but you also want to make sure that you don't run your batteries down overnight; at the same time, however, you don't want to charge your batteries fully off shore power when you know you'll have 3kW of solar available in a few hours when the sun comes up. By using the BMV/Multi combination like this, you only switch to shore power when your batteries run down, then AC kicks in, charges them up just enough to make it until morning, and then switches back off (back to inverting). It's a very useful feature (one of several) that the Multi alone doesn't offer.

Really, I think that's the biggest consideration here: yes, the BMV is more accurate than the Multi's internal battery monitor, but more importantly than that, the BMV is capable of determining SOC of your bank (and, thus, an approximation of time remaining in your bank as well), which the MultiPlus alone is not capable of.

TBH and IMHO, your wholesaler is a bit of an idjit for not being aware of this, because it's really a significant degree of additional functionality that having the BMV opens up for you.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks Justin,

I appreciate u stopping by and taking the time

That's a great feature and one I didn't know (only a noob)

I would go as far to say that when staying in van parks in Australia we basically pay a flat fee for a power site so would probably never need this feature there but would definitely be handy if ever staying at friends or family where u would like to limit importing as much as possible

HOWEVER I assume this same idea can be used for a small back up geni if remote so no need to think and just have a set and forget system to an extent ??

and after doing some reading last night if for nothing else the "time remaining " feature is a great little gimmick that id like to have for a few hundred extra

0 Likes 0 ยท