question

ifixis avatar image
ifixis asked

Mixing batteries: internal BMB and external BMS. Is it possible?

hi friends,

I bougt a new camper that has already installed a 2nd service battery, that has an internal BMS;

considering that I would expand the batteries capacity, I would use this battery (is brend new), but I would install the Smart Victron batteries with all dedicated components.

Is it possible?

ciao e grazie :)

campervan
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Ifixis

In theory if the batteries have the same charge and float voltages then yes.

Few drawbacks of a mixed battery system.

1. SOC and capacity will not work as expected. You could add a shunt for that.

2. Unexpected shutdowns, this happens of the can connected BMS decides the discharge current is too high and it cant do it. So size it correctly anyway. Remember it wont know the other battery is there to help. Work around for this one is the shunt again. And remove bms contro in DVCC. Warning though you can void warranty on some batteries doing this.

3. Knowing if the internal bms battery shuts down can be tricky as the other can keep the system alive and you wont know until you run out of capacity (charge discharge or storage amount)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ifixis avatar image
ifixis answered ·

Hi Alexandra,

maybe some infos are missing: the 2 future new batteires will have the external BMS so, the existing one will be connected after this .

I guess the system should works....

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic