question

jonno avatar image
jonno asked

Reset BlueSolar Charger MPPT 150/70

I've lost all power from my MPPT. Can I reset it?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Jonno, could you clarify your question a little? Specifically, what do you mean when you say that you've lost all power from your controller; do you mean that it's not putting out power to the batteries from the PV, or do you mean that the unit itself is not powered, or...?

There are a multitude of possibilities, thus why I'm requesting some clarification as to the exact circumstance that you're experiencing. The obvious first troubleshooting steps are to check at the MPPT terminals whether A: you see battery voltage at the BATT side (if not, then your cables and/or fuses on the batt side are faulty) and B: whether you see voltage at the PV side (if not, then your cabling, fuses, and/or panels are faulty on the PV side).

The next thing to check would be whether there is battery voltage +5v at the PV side, which the controller requires to initialize and start charging (so, if your batteries are resting at 12.8v, you need to have >17.8v at the PV side for the controller to turn on).

If all of those conditions test well and the controller itself still isn't powered on, then it's likely that some condition caused the internal fuse to blow, in which case you should contact the authorized Victron distributor from whom you purchased the unit to request a warranty replacement; in my experience, however, about 95% of cases where a controller is apparently malfunctioning it's actually caused by cabling/fuses/connection issues rather than the controller itself.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jonno avatar image
jonno answered ·

Hi Justin,

Thanks so much for replying. I'll answer your questions as best as I can.

Yesterday, mains power was out and we were running primarily off our 12 solar panels as is the program. It's a 3kVA Easysolar unit. I went to make some toast and the total power draw from the panels went up to about 1700W. I believe it was at that time, the MPPT stopped functioning correctly and stopped accepting any voltage from the panels. I just went and checked the voltage from the panels and they're sitting at about 100V. (we have 4 strings of 3)

On the panel, it actually says that the charge controller is "off". I've done a full reset by disconnecting the panels and then the batteries but it still isn't working which leads me to believe the controller itself has blown. But I'd be very very happy to be proven wrong!

Thanks again,

Jonno

2 |3000

jonno avatar image
jonno answered ·

Hi Justin.

I just reread your message. you said there's an internal fuse? That could very well be the problem.

Jonno

2 |3000

jonno avatar image
jonno answered ·

Hi,

For anyone interested, the fault was not a great MC4 connector wiring. Repaired, fixed and the MPPT controller is working just fine.

Thanks.

2 |3000