question

Simon Jenje avatar image
Simon Jenje asked

Multiplus 12/3000 disconnects generator when load increases

We have installed a Multiplus 12/3000 into a motor home assisted by a Onan 3.6 Generator. All works fine until we increase the load on the circuit. Instead of Power Assisting the Multiplus is Dropping the generator off line.

The Charger is drawing around 7amps (240V) and when we try to run a kettle the Multiplus is dropping the generator and not allowing the Power Assist mod to function.

UPS is un-ticked and everything appears to be set correctly.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
vincent avatar image
vincent answered ·

When you turn on the kettle, the extra load on the generator distorts it's waveform and may alter the frequency. This causes the inverter to reject the generator. To fix it, you can try to loosen up the voltage and/or frequency parameters, and try turning on the dirty waveform toggle in the charger section.

It's a pretty small genset so be especially sure the load is balanced (is it 240 only or is it split?).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Simon. Just adding a little more to Vincent's answer..

It's possible also that the Onan is rejecting the load. It may not be immediately apparent which is the cause, but an indicator light on another genny outlet will soon tell.

You can set a limit in the Multi to keep the genny happy, and Power Assist should kick in as expected if you exceed it.

And oh, some 'kettles' may be just too large, even faulty. My last caused me issues there, so overlook nothing..

I like posting this too - our own Guy in close-up.. https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2017/11/27/the-trouble-with-generators/

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

2 |3000