question

bigbrovar avatar image
bigbrovar asked

Can the Old Victron Bluesolar 150/70 connect to a GX device.

Hello everyone,

I currently have 2 x Victron Smart Solar MPPT - Ve.Can for my setup. The MPPT controllers are setup to work on 2 different solar arrays. I have a 3rd array (of a different configuration as the first 2) and for budget consideration (victron gear are quite expensive - it is what it is) I am considering terminating the 3rd smaller array to an older Blue Solar MPPT 150/70 ve.can (The one with rectangular shape and display)

I am quite aware of the limitation of the older Blue Solar MPPT 150/70 ve.can especially the inability to synchronize with the new vecan mppt, and lack of support for charge management on GX which is useful for charging BMS.

1. does the older Blue Solar MPPT 150/70 ve.can at least support monitoring on GX? can I update the settings or monitor it on a GX device and see it on VRM?
  2. If 1 is positive, then how can I go about doing this? is there a documentation?

I know that the device is EOL and no longer officially supported, but like I said earlier, Victron is premium and comes with a high cost, part of the justification for the cost of victron gear is the long runway of getting your ROI. This controller still works I just want to utilize it as much as I can rather than throwing it away to become e-waste.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Datasheet:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Blue-Solar-Charge-Controller-MPPT-150-70-&-150-85-EN.pdf

CAN bus

To parallel up to 25 units, to connect to a ColorControl panel or to connect to a CAN bus network

A ColorControl panel is a GX device unless this is an older produce before GX was a thing?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bigbrovar avatar image bigbrovar commented ·
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I would like to know myself if it is compatible with the newer GX device.
0 Likes 0 ·