question

Ken Deemer avatar image
Ken Deemer asked

Multiplus II only operates with AC input

My Cerbo GX reports that my Multiplus II State is “Unknown”. The unit appears dead. There are no LED’s lit. Rocking the switch does nothing. However, when I turn on my generator it begins the standard charge cycle, reports a state of “Bulk”, and the corresponding LED’s are lit. But when I stop charging it reverts back to “Unknown” and will not invert or do anything (no LED’s). Seems to only be responsive with an AC input. Any thoughts on what might be happening? Thanks.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Turn the unit off.

Disconnect the VE.Bus cable from the Cerbo.

Turn the unit on.

What happens?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ken Deemer avatar image Ken Deemer commented ·
First, an orange light flashes briefly. Then, after about 10 seconds the unit turns on. However, as soon as I disconnect shore power (AC) it turns off. Also, even before trying this, there is no communication between the Multiplus and the Cerbo.
0 Likes 0 ·
danielj avatar image
danielj answered ·

This is a typical symptom of a system that has no physical connection to the battery. Check if you can measure a voltage on the DC terminals when the generator is off.

1 comment
2 |3000

The batteries are directly connected (via a fuse) and the voltage at the Multiplus terminals is 12.77.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Ken Deemer

Likely if the fuse and connections are ok, the battery voltage is under the inverter restart value.

Doesn't explain why it is not charging though when connected to mains and on? So check programming

2 comments
2 |3000

The battery DOES charge with the mains connected. It is now fully charged and at 12.7 volts. But turning off the mains turns off the Multiplus. Also I have now lost VE bus communication with the Cerbo GX.
0 Likes 0 ·
Duivert NL avatar image Duivert NL Ken Deemer commented ·
Is the complete system configured correctly?

Also 12.7V seems a bit low?
0 Likes 0 ·
Ken Deemer avatar image
Ken Deemer answered ·

The voltage is now 13.1. I believe it is configured correctly. It was working but quit. I had been getting a number of L1 temperature warnings when I charged from the generator, even though I reduced the max charge current to 50 amps. I don’t get the error when charging from the mains even with much higher current. Anyway at this point I can’t communicate with the Multiplus .

2 |3000

Ken Deemer avatar image
Ken Deemer answered ·

I guess it is in float which is why the voltage is 13.1. For Lifeline AGM batteries, 12.7 volts is more than a 90% SOC.

2 |3000

Ken Deemer avatar image
Ken Deemer answered ·

It turns out that the problem was a faulty temperature sensor. Once i disconnected it everything was restored to normal. Strange but true.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Great. But also 12.7v is too low for AGM. Those batteries will be killed by undercharging.

0 Likes 0 ·