question

john-5 avatar image
john-5 asked

Using Dynamic ESS in the UK

Can I configure Dynamic ESS to use in the UK?

I cannot find a setting for the UK.

dynamic ess
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
rod.peel avatar image
rod.peel answered ·

I am absolutely sure that you can. There may not be a pre programmed setting for the UK but neither was there one for Bolivia where I live. Fill in everything that you can. I advise you to select 'Green' mode rather than 'Trade' mode. I also advise that you don't need put in battery cost and life cycle details unless you really want the system to reduce the use of your batteries to zero. Just select optimise battery life.
I am about to change my Dynamic ESS settings as i am due to start 1 for 1 sales to the local electricity company. I wish I could have done that earlier as, apart from covering power cuts, I do not need batteries as the power company will act as an infine storage for any extra electricity I will generate.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) avatar image
Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) answered ·

Well, the current problem with not being able to select the UK as a country, is the fact that we haven't got an API key for Octopus. Where, in other countries, the day ahead prices are freely available via Entso-e, Octopus only exposes those to its own customers.

In order to get support for Octopus added, we need to get an API key. So far we've only been referred to general mail addresses at Octopus, which then remain unanswered.

2 |3000

rr-engineering avatar image
rr-engineering answered ·

Try emailing their CEO Greg Jackson, he makes his email address public (greg@octopus.energy) I would have thought this sort of thing would be right up their street you just need someone to connect you with their devs.

Octopus already offer tight integration with givenergy inverters on their "intelegent octopus flux" tariff where the user effectively hands control of their system to octopus and is handsomely rewarded for it. It would be amazing to see Victron end up working with the same integration. I know for a fact some people in the UK have selected givenergy hardware because of this integration.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks. At the moment we are already moving ahead with integrating the API. It turns out that some of the calls can already be done without the need to be an actual customer. But there are a lot of different tariffs within Octopus, which we need to add to our system nicely. We expect the integration and testing to be done before the end of the month.
1 Like 1 ·