question

jozeb avatar image
jozeb asked

Multiplus 2 without Battery doesnt start in ESS

We have some pieces Multiplus II 48/3000, FW version 456 and some pieces Multiplus II 48/5000, FW version 459. All of them have exactly the same configuration, ESS included, but the dont work the same. Inverters Multiplus II 48/3000 start without battery, but inverters Multiplus 48/5000 dont start without battery. We want that inverters can start without battery.

I ask for your help.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Jaco Reinecke avatar image
Jaco Reinecke answered ·

Hi,

The inverters are not designed to work without a battery. I once "fooled" the inverter to run without a battery by having the solar panels connected directly to the battery connection inside the inverter. This is not advisable as the moment there is a load, the inverter will switch off.

Regards
Jaco

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

@jozeb I set up both of my MP II's 3000 at separate locations connecting to a power socket first with NOTHING else connected and you will also see Victron demonstrating software in this way. I wonder if the grid code setting may have something to do with it, but stand to be corrected that MP will not accept external power unless it has been configured. A bit out on a limb here.

2 |3000

jozeb avatar image
jozeb answered ·

Hi,

we dont use MP without battery. We have problem because our battery starts after the inverter output voltage is present. We use MP in energy storage mode only. It means we manage power from/to AC mains, nothing else.

2 |3000