question

mitch184 avatar image
mitch184 asked

Orion XS - Marine Install multiple motors

Hi,

Looking at installing an Orion XS onto my fishing/cruising boat. I have a dedicated starting battery and a 300 aH lithium phosphate house battery. All of my loads will be run off the house battery. I would consider the loads excessive, but will be demanding on occasion when running 4 electric downriggers, electronics, radar, etc. My main engine is a 400hp outboard motor that has a 150 amp alternator. That rating is at WOT, and I've been told that at 2000 rpms it's around 85 amps. I also have a smaller 25hp outboard that puts out around 5 amps at idle and 17 amps at WOT. I will be on the 25hp motor most of the time when fishing.

My main question revolves around how the Orion XS functions when the input amperage from the motors will be less than 50 amps (or whatever setting I set it to). ie, when the main motor is at idle or when running the 25hp "kicker" motor. I was told that often with the Orion TR 30 amp that people would NOT wire the the kicker motor to the charger, but rather just directly to the house battery so it just charges whatever it gets. I didn't know if this was correct or if the new XS has better programming to account for this situation.

Thanks

Sean

ampsmarine
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic