question

johannes-cronje avatar image
johannes-cronje asked

Smart Solar 150/35 Constant Annoying high pitch Sound

Good day

I had a Smart Solar 150/35 that was making a very irritated high pitching sound when charging . I had the Unit Replaced by my Distributor . When the new one was installed I had the same problem . We have changed the Solar Panel configuration as the VOC was very close the maximum VOC of the Smart Solar. After the change the irritated high pitch sound was still there . I have contacted my Distributor and request a proper investigation into this . Before that could happen there was n burglary at their warehouse and the returned unit was stolen . I have offered them my current smart solar for testing purposes and proposed to have the unit changed with a normal Blue Solar 150/35 to see if the same problem persist .

I was supplied with a Blue Solar unit and installed it. There was NO high pitching sound anymore. I have Changed my PV Array to my original configuration and still the High Pitching sound was NOT there .

Al of this information was supplied to my distributor. Once again I have requested a proper investigation upon this as my client is adamant to have his Smart Solar Replaced . The client has welcomed the temporary fix but wants the Smart Solar replaced .

I have managed to bring this problem under the attention of Gerrit Tromp as Well as Andre Durand who are both Victron Employees in South Africa . Till today I had no response from them acknowledging the problem. I am in constant contact with my distributor and each and every time I am told they are waiting for Victron . I do not know how many times the distributor needs to do tests requested by Gerrit and Andre .

Out of my Business perspective i am sitting between the client and Distributor and I cannot every time respond that "they are working on it " .. I have requested from one of the projects manager from my Distributor that all I need is to confirm that if the High Pitch Sound is Normal . If the response is that it is normal the high Pitch Sound , then my question is why does the Blue Solar NOT have the HIGH Pitch Sound under the same conditions .

I do not have these issues with Larger type Smart Solar units 250/100 and 150/100.

I will really appreciate some feedback on how to deal with this as a can not continue to RMA units and not being satisfied . As well Labour and travelling cost are at my expense and the client will not pay for it .

Regards

Johannes Cronje

smart solar set-up help
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

whitehouse avatar image whitehouse commented ·

I am having the same issue with my SmartSolar 150/35.

0 Likes 0 ·
dustdevyl avatar image dustdevyl whitehouse commented ·

i run 3ea SmartSolar Charger MPPT 150/35 and when they are busy doing their job they also emit some sort of high pitched squeal. But they have been working just fine. Hope that helps!

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Anita avatar image
Anita answered ·

Hi @Johannes,

Contact me on anita@allsolar.co.za. I am also in South Africa. Maybe I can help.

Regards,

Anita

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Johannes, I'll contact you by email, Matthijs

UPDATE: I'll supply Gerrit with the info; he'll contact you.

1 comment
2 |3000

johannes-cronje avatar image johannes-cronje commented ·

HI Matthijs

Appreciate it .

Regards

0 Likes 0 ·
montreal-woodworks avatar image
montreal-woodworks answered ·

I have the exact same issue. Swapped out the 150/35 with a competing (cheap) MPPT and the noise went away.

The Victron should be a superior product, and I'm sure it is - except that the high pitched squeal is driving me nuts.

Mine is connected to 400W of solar at 24v (2S2P 100W) and outputting to 24v of LifePO4 (2x 100ah Trillium batteries) if that is relevant. Wiring to and from the MPPT is 10 gauge and about 3m long from panels to MPPT and 1m from MPPT to batteries and the BMV700 monitor.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic