question

tiberius avatar image
tiberius asked

Multipus 48/15000 DC wiring fuse and lynx connections

Hi all,

So I'm getting a wiring diagram together for a Multiplus-II 48/15000, and note that the manual says 2x95mm2 cabling required on the DC side, with a 600A fuse.

If I'm connecting this to a Lynx distributor, I'm unsure that both wires would fit to a single terminal, would 2 x 300A fuses suffice here, assuming the cables are of exact same length?

Would most people recommend fitting an isolator between the Multiplus and the Lynx Distributor, and would that be a case of bringing both cables to the same terminal on the isolator, or is there a different recommendation of how best to wire this?

Any recommendations on decent 600A isolator switches?

Thanks!

Will

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
tiberius avatar image
tiberius answered ·

I'm now leaning towards a dual NH fuse disconnect with 250A or 300A NH fuses, instead of an isolator. There seem to be versions that are locked so both would disconnect at once.

This would protect both conductors (where a single 600A fuse would not), and allow disconnection/isolation of the invertor.

Can anyone see any issues with this approach?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

maa avatar image
maa answered ·

hello Tiberius,

The right approach with DC is to start with 3A per mm² as a reference, so your 95mm² should not have to support more than 300A.

On your Lynx you will not be able to stack 2 lugs of 95mm² so you will have to take 2 locations out of the 4 available with effectively a megafuse of 300A each.

Your approach with NH blade fuses is for me the best and safest because you will be able to group your 2 terminals on each NH3 (or NH4 if you prefer) and with the possibility of cutting everything if necessary.

good assembly :)

4 comments
2 |3000

tiberius avatar image tiberius commented ·
Thanks for the feedback!

To clarify, you'd recommend to bring both cables to a single NH3 fuse, rather than separate NH fuses (albeit dual/interlocked so both are always connected or disconnected)?

0 Likes 0 ·
maa avatar image maa tiberius commented ·

this is what I would do if I had your installation now the best would be to take the insurance of a Victron professional

0 Likes 0 ·
tiberius avatar image tiberius maa commented ·

Okay, thanks again.

My concern/reason for thinking two fuses was to protect against potentially one of the dual cables becoming disconnected/faulty and the whole 600A then melting the other remaining cable and causing a fire.

I'm likely overthinking it, as I've seen many installs (even by processionals) where there's no fuse or disconnect at all between the inverter and the bus bars!

0 Likes 0 ·
maa avatar image maa tiberius commented ·

indeed a lot of apprentice sorcerers in this world...

But security is priceless so it's better that you invest in it

0 Likes 0 ·