question

laurent35 avatar image
laurent35 asked

Orion XS input-ouput bypass for emergency

To intended system will use the Orion XS (50A) as a DC-DC charger for LiFePO4 batteries with lead batteries for engine start and bow thruster. In case of emergency can I bypass the Orion to start the engine from the LiFePO4 ?

orion xs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@laurent35 Some thoughts.

The batteries BMS might not handle the starting current.

The orion's existing cabling and fuses will not handle the starting current.

In an emergency grab some jumper cables? Somewhat risky. Do be careful....

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

laurent35 avatar image laurent35 commented ·

The plan is to install 2x200Ah batteries with each equipped with a 200A BMS, so a peak draw of at least 400A, probably more on a transient basis. To crank up a 1.6kW starter that should be enough.

Cables shall be sized accordingly.

Obviously, I understand that 150A cannot go through the Orion XS, the intention is to implement a bypass switch to be closed in case the battery level is too low. That would electrically equivalent to jumper cables but safer.

The question that is to be answered is the effect of short circuiting the Orion In and Out for a short period will be detrimental for the device or not. I have seen an answer concerning another variant of the Orion (Orion-Tr Smart), but for the XS.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ laurent35 commented ·
Just have an input disconnect to isolate the orion and the bypass/jumper. Then you know the orion will be safe.

By definition a bypass disconnects from one source to connect to another so if it is done right there will be no short from in to out. A jumper by itself is not quite the same thing.

50A is the max short circuit it can protect against. Error 27 will appear. Your system will have exceeded that at cranking.

0 Likes 0 ·
marek-baus avatar image
marek-baus answered ·

Hi,

I also want add bypass to connect battery directry to altrnator by high current relay.

From technical side for schort term can I connect input and output Orion XS and it not will be damaged.

Please help

2 |3000