question

Leon Burgher avatar image
Leon Burgher asked

Battery array fail TWICE

Hi Everybody, Having recently replaced my 3 x 100Ah Ritar batteries with Neuton Power 105Ah units, they failed within three weeks. I put this down to damage from a failed solar panel connection I discovered too late. Oh well, live and learn! Apparently I didn’t as I’ve now repeated the problem with a whole new set. The Ritars lasted 12 years, with much punishing discharges. The Neutons have failed almost immediately, with reasonable recharge available each day. This is my home system. I don’t use a generator, except for high power applications. I am now literally in the dark as to why the exact same configuration has failed in this way with the new batteries It’s almost as though they’re rejecting the Controller output. I want to return to Ritars but reluctant to blow another A$1000 if the same thing is likely to happen. As I write, the Batt voltage is flicking between 11.05 to 10.98. Any clues?

IMG_8265.PNGIMG_8266.PNGIMG_8267.PNGIMG_8268.PNGIMG_8269.PNGIMG_8270.PNGScreenshot 2024-05-12 at 5.46.46 PM.pngStonySolarPboard.jpeg

battery status
img-8265.png (121.7 KiB)
img-8266.png (70.1 KiB)
img-8267.png (82.3 KiB)
img-8268.png (82.0 KiB)
img-8269.png (81.8 KiB)
img-8270.png (82.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Leon Burgher

Zero settings or mention of battery type is not helpful.

I can say 1 x 75/15 would never be enough to charge a large battery bank.

But undercharging does not seem to be part of the issue as it seems your battery gets up to 14.2v every day.

You must have other charge sources.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Leon Burgher Given your previous problems #1 #2 you still have not found the bad connection between the mppt and batteries.

Pic shows some pretty agricultural (munted) practices. MC4 connectors on a battery cable?????? Crimp connectors used on the mppt that should only be clamped to fine strand cable.!!!!

Your batts might recover, if you can sort out the mppt to batt problems.

2 |3000

Leon Burgher avatar image
Leon Burgher answered ·

Hi klim8skeptic & Alexandra (& others),

Yes, I agree my setup is rather agricultural. I am doing the best with what I have available here, out in the country, at the bottom of the world (Australia). Some more details, for the curious: 1 X 240W 24v panel in full sun when available; 3 X 105Ah AGM (lead acid) 'valve regulated' 12v Neuton Power batteries; 75/15 MPPT controller (Battery mode) feeding battery array, inverter and 12v water pump via a common junction. This setup has served me well for the last 12 of 16 years.

This morning, the VE: Direct Smart displayed 11.91v at 5.30am, two hours before sunrise, following a reading of around 10.40v at 8.30pm last night. The system went straight into Float mode once the sun came up.

Where did all this 'magic' free charge come from?

And why is this behaviour totally opposite to what I've experienced for 12 years?

Given the 'high overhead' of 315 Ah in the current setup, would 200Ah (2 X 100Ah) be better?

Today, I am replacing the main battery leads (3A cables) as I've tested everything else back to front (including these leads). Any comparisons between Ritar and Neuton Power batteries also welcome.

Thanks for your responses, Leon

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@Leon Burgher Grab a multimeter and measure the voltage at the mppt batt terminals, also at the battery terminals.

Compare to what VC diaplays.

1 Like 1 ·
Leon Burgher avatar image Leon Burgher klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Yes, I’ve been doing that. I’d always thought these figures, by definition, had to be the same. Lately, they’ve been MPPT 13.78v and Battery 12.04v. Weird! I’ve now replaced my Battery main cable and found them to be identical again. I’ll know more tomorrow when the system’s had a full cycle. Cheers Leon (1730 13/05/24)
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic