question

frankie avatar image
frankie asked

can I run my array Voc at .4 of a volt higher than it is rated?

I have 2, 310w panels with Voc of 40.15. I would like to connect in series. When Voc is doubled then 25% safety factor is added it comes to 100.375 volts. I have a 100/30 smart controller. The nifty Mppt sizing tool says all I need is the 100/20. Does the sizing tool not take into account the 25% safety factor? I could just connect them in parallel, but I think it maybe more efficient connected in series. It is a 24 volt system. Temps here range between 6 deg c and about 35 deg c

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

If the nifty MPPT sizing tool says that it’s ok, and you are certain of the panel and temp specifications you entered, then you are good to go.

https://mppt.victronenergy.com/?locale=en

The 100V limit is firm.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Frankie. Fascination drives me, so please forgive. Where do you get this '25% safety factor' from?

I'd series-connect the panels, and you can check your panel V from the smart app in the coldest of weather to see. That won't be Voc, more likely Vmp under solar production, but they're related. If you suspect that 100Voc might be exceeded, pull a solar wire & check it with a multimeter.

2 |3000

frankie avatar image
frankie answered ·

Thankyou for your replies. JohnC, I have been advised, and have read that it is prudent to add a 25% safety factor into any Voc or Isc formula regarding Controller sizing. I believe it is actually a complience code in some areas. Personally I always thought it extreamly high, but the promised doom and gloom if I didn't has made me factor this in. Maybe a subject for another thread?

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

If your going to add in a 25% safety factor, you would be good down to -20c. How cold does it get? What model panels?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Interesting. But as soon as you mention 'compliance code', I think - Aahh, perhaps related to cowboy domestic installers working with ac-coupled LV of 600V or more, who don't bother with the calcs - or can't anyway. Klim does it in his stride, hey.

You're in the range of what's called ELV in my country (120V?), and whilst there are some regs, they're much more relaxed.

At least that fudge-factor didn't come from Victron. I would have found that most strange, hence my asking.

You should be fine.

0 Likes 0 ·
frankie avatar image
frankie answered ·

Cheers klim8skeptic. It goes down to about 6 deg c here in the winter. The panals I have are:

Q.CELLS 305w PERC 6 Busbar Mono Solar Panels

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Somewhere tropical :).

Temp coefficient of .28%, Voc 40.05 @ 25c.

Voc 42.85 @ 0c

Plenty safe 2 in series.

0 Likes 0 ·
frankie avatar image
frankie answered ·

Thanks again for the answers guys. Ha ha NZ is hardly tropical, getting close I suppose :) I shall go forth and Install.

2 |3000