question

batwolf avatar image
batwolf asked

100A Buck Boost alongside secondary alternator - potential problems?

Hi all,

I'm going to be charging a fairly large 24V (800Ah) battery bank with a secondary 24V alternator & Wakespeed unit. I opted for a secondary alternator with less overall output (about 130A) but which provides much more power than the high output units at idle/low RPM. Given the size and expected usage of my battery bank, I'm looking for a way to add some additional juice from the factory alternator alongside to speed up overall charging. I have been considering using a 100A Victron Buck Boost off of the factory 12V alternator to supplement the secondary alternator. It isn't STRICTLY necessary, but would be a welcome boost for short trips, alongside my solar.

The buck boost would be controlled by the ATC signal from a Lynx BMS using the input, and the secondary alternator will be controlled by the Wakespeed/Lynx BMS integration. My real concern is whether or not I would run into any issues with something like backfeed, given that the output of the buck boost will be essentially exposed to the power coming from the secondary alternator.

Is a system like this feasible? Could it result in a damaging/dangerous backfeed, or is the 100a buckboost protected in some way from this? My intent is to tune the output voltage as necessary to ensure that after all the cable runs, the voltage supplied from the buckboost at the lynx distributor is as close as possible to what's being provided by the secondary alternator/solar/etc.

Thanks in advance.

buckboost
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
madmaxx avatar image
madmaxx answered ·

Do you expect to draw as much as 24 V * 130 A ~= 3 kW in addition to the already existing alternator? Check with your system designer if your engine can deliver that power at idle.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

batwolf avatar image batwolf commented ·
It won't be drawing that much power at idle. They are lower turn-on, but do not output full power at idle, as compared with higher output alternators which output close to nothing at idle. Shouldn't be an issue.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic