question

thronger avatar image
thronger asked

TSConfig and Buck Boost DC DC 50A

I have bought a narrowboat with a Victron power system, including a 12V starter battery and 24V Tesla house battery bank. It uses a Buck Boost DC DC Converter to charge from alternator/starter battery to the house battery. Strangely, the Buck Boost input terminal voltage is tied to the output terminal voltage (I.e. house battery 24V), such that when I reconnected the input to the starter battery, it blew the 50A fuse. No matter what I do on TSConfig, the input voltage is stuck to the output (as measured by multimeter and TSConfig). Has my Buck Boost shorted itself, or is it simply a case of the wrong Voltage default being set I.e. 24 to 24V, instead of 12V to 24V)? I can’t find on TSConfig where to make this setting though? I suspect the Buck Boost is busted, but could also being doing something silly. Help would be appreciated.

buckboosttsconfig
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thronger avatar image thronger commented ·

img-2811.jpeg

See my latest TSConfig settings. Help on the float and fully charged numbers would be much appreciated!

0 Likes 0 ·
img-2811.jpeg (2.1 MiB)
4 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

There's a page in the manual showing where input and output voltage are set.

You can download the manual.

https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-converters/buck-boost-dc-dc-converter-25a-50a#manual

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Would anyone happen to have the actual TSConfig manual? Not the Buck Boost manual. I don’t think the help hints in the TSConfig software are enough to adequately program the Buck Boost. Surely there is a detailed TSConfig manual?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks but this video is for a 12v to 12v converter setup. I need help in the 12v to 24v setup,
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

What happens if you disconnect the output?

2 comments
2 |3000

Then the output imitates the input exactly. 12v both sides. When I then connected the output to the 24v battery, the 50A fuse on the 12v side blew.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ thronger commented ·

My guess is that the BuckBoost is defective and needs to be replaced.

You should contact the seller of the boat or you use the serial number of the device to get in touch with the Victron distributor that sold the device.

https://www.victronenergy.com/support

https://www.victronenergy.com/support-request

1 Like 1 ·
thronger avatar image
thronger answered ·

Good news! I have replaced the Victron Buck Boost 50A DC DC Converter with a brand new one. GBP650 later mind you! And it now works a treat. The previous narrowboat owner must have blown the last one somehow.

I still think the instructions for TSConfig are very minimal and insufficient. For instance, for my new converter the TSConfig software is insisting that I input float and fully charged voltages. Whereas my Tesla batteries already have a BMS which controls these things. But I don’t I know how to turn off these items in TSConfig! Which is frustrating.

Thanks to everyone that tried to help.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic