question

kurs270 avatar image
kurs270 asked

Quattro fan starting at low load and low temp

Hello, I have a Quattro 12/5000/220 with firmware 497. Even under very low load conditions, the fan starts more or less regularly, runs for approx. 5..10 minutes, then stops.

Ambient temperature is below 20 degrees Centigrade and the air coming out of the quattro is cold all the time.

Does anyone (maybe victron staff ;-) know what exactly is the fan control algorithm? What causes it to start?

I know there have been issues with noisy fans and associated fixes in new firmware, but afaik that only concerns newer devices with pwm-controlled fans. My device simply turns the fan on or off.

I also have a Cerbo attached to the unit, is there anything on the DBus/MQTT to help me find out the reason?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

there are ways to control the fan with assistants so read up on these , your best starting point is to upgrade the fw to 510 as a starting point as the issue may already be fixed.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kurs270 avatar image kurs270 commented ·
But are there really fixes for this particular problem? My reading of the change logs suggests that the fixes only concern the pwm fans.

I am not so keen on running firmware updates "just for the sake of it".

What options do the assistants offer in particular?

0 Likes 0 ·
kurs270 avatar image
kurs270 answered ·

So yesterday I did the update to 510 and as expected, it did not improve things. Sadly, it is even worse now. The fan now runs constantly and doesn't stop at all any more.

Regarding the assistants... There seems to be only the "silence fan" assistant, which switches off the fan but at the cost of limiting load to what is acceptable without active cooling, which ist of course not what I want.

Is there any chance to find out what causes the quattro to start the fan?

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
It is driven by temp and load so will start spinning up when either increases until it reaches full power.

On mine they don't run with "idle" loads (a couple of hundred Watts).

0 Likes 0 ·
kurs270 avatar image kurs270 nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
That is what I more or less expected / deduced from other posts. My load during most of the time also is in the region of about 200 Watts, approx. half of which goes to the dc system, the remainder to the ac loads.

I wonder if there is any chance to get a log file or the like stating what causes the quattro to think the fan is necessary.

0 Likes 0 ·