question

Gregory Cavanagh avatar image
Gregory Cavanagh asked

Quick question on float and absorb voltage

Hello Everyone,

So i have pulled my 2X100AH AGM batteries out of the camper while installing my new BMV and MPPT 100/50.

On the side of them it states

Cycle use, 14.5 V- 14.9V

Float 13.5V - 13.9V

So my question is, is it best to set the MPPT to the max of these ranges ie, 14.9V absorb?

Or is a more middle road option like 14.7V be better?

Or do any of the voltages in that range work just aswell?

Thanks,

voltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Greg. This is a little like whipping a horse. How fast do you want it to go. and how long do you want it to last. :)

Consider too temp compensation. Victron defaults will apply a little more V in cold weather, so maybe that's included in your maker's specs?

And if the batts are in storage, maybe just a a low Float of 13.2V would be adequate, with no Abs at all.

It's muchly personal preference, but if you err, best to err to the lower end. No point boiling the heart out of them, and if they're sealed batts, that can't be replaced.

You may not actually notice much difference in energy acceptance between the upper and lower ends, but if you do, might set you wondering if you're bubbling it away.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Gregory Cavanagh avatar image Gregory Cavanagh commented ·

Yup, so i had it set to 4.8, and the MPPT was starting to charge it at 15V or over with a bat temp of 10C, i set it to 14.7 which let it cap out at the max 14.9

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic