question

jeroen-kuijf avatar image
jeroen-kuijf asked

VDC ripple rules

Good evening,

I see so many questions about DC-ripple that I had to write a simple test for installers and/or DIY-ers to check your installation if it works as should be when it charges, either from the grid or via the AC output of an inverter.

There are 2 formula, 1 for bulk (and absorption) and 1 for float.

The ripple should not be more than 1.5% times bulk (and absorption) voltage.

The ripple should not be more than 0.5% times float voltage.

This, as the ripple can overheat batteries and can change their chemistry inside, less with Lithium but more with lead acid.

So, conclusion, below values are maximum values as said above.

A 12V system, float ripple 0.07V and bulk (and absorption) ripple 0.22V, not more!

A 24V system, float ripple 0.14V and bulk (and absorption) ripple 0.43V, not more!

A 48V system, float ripple 0.27V and bulk (and absorption) ripple 0.87V, not more!

That alarms and shut-offs are set way higher is due to when you use power from an inverter.

Also then there is a ripple and mostly way higher than the charging ones, depending mainly on the load of the inverter and the size of the battery.

If you follow the primary guidelines from the Victron instructions, then all should be in these limits.

Easy to test, just switch the charger on and check the ripple values at bulk (and absorption) and at float.

Of course, the above values are calculated for bog standard installations, calculate your maxima yourself with your slightly different charge voltages, specially the 48V systems.

And, the inverter at idle, there is also a ripple, this is about, 0.04V or less for a 12V system, 0.10V or less for a 24V system, 0.15V or less for a 48V system, these values can be used for commissioning before putting on the load.

Of course there are slightly small differences between a single phase and a three phase (etc) system, but the values above can be used for all types of system.

With the best regards, Jeroen.

Visit me at, vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/48664

ripple
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
jeroen-kuijf avatar image
jeroen-kuijf answered ·

Good afternoon,

I measured all I could in a 24/8000 quattro, 11000Wmax = about 450A.

26 capacitors parallel over the DC bus, 50V each, 0.2132F and 83.2A capable ripple in total are inside the inverter.

2000AH/24V lead acid battery with a 1000A BMV712 and a 36V/32.5F supercap parallel on the DC bus.

The test is done with a couple of induction heaters and water pumps to simulate normal load (with the heaters) and overload (starting a pump against its pressure).

Chart 1 shows clearly the difference between charging, taking load and overload in ripple voltage.

Chart 2 shows clearly that the 5% calculated Ipp current and the real normal load Ipp measured are way below the maximum current the capacitors of the inverter can handle, 4 times more on average.

1714825441523.png

Chart 1.

1714825474525.png

Chart 2.

Conclusion, this inverter is running very nice and the ripples are all in the limits.

I hope that to make it more visible there is more understanding of this fenomena called ripple.

With regards, Jeroen.

visit me at, https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/48664

1714825441523.png (35.1 KiB)
1714825474525.png (38.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic