question

Kobina Obu Beecham avatar image
Kobina Obu Beecham asked

High DC Ripple after Installing New LiFePo4 battery

LoUpgraded to my 1st LiFePo4 battery after 9 years and 3 sets of Gel batteries.
System works perfectly except that occasionally the system restarts and connected loads lose power.
System is restored usually within a minute.
Manufacturer doesn't specify Absorption Voltage so I dont know where in VE Configure 3 to insert Absorption Voltage.
Manufacturer specified Bulk Voltage but I dont know where in VE Configure 3 to type in Bulk Charging voltage

b7593d4c-701f-4f14-ba7c-ccd29b60be23.jpg

Done some reading on the High DC ripple and my question is exactly what voltage settings do I need to configure in VE Configure 3 to prevent the batteries BMS from kicking the Inverter off occasionally?whatsapp-image-2024-04-28-at-114554-am.jpegLogs from Inverter. Not all were logged but at least this incidence was logged
whatsapp-image-2024-04-28-at-114420-am.jpegThe new liFePo4 Batterywhatsapp-image-2024-04-28-at-114518-am.jpegAlarm message I received from the VRM Portal

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
@Kobina Obu Beecham One thing of note about your battery specs.

The label on the shipping carton list the battery as 5KWH.

The maths does not add up. A 25.6v, 100Ah battery gives a capacity of 2.56 KWH.

Make sure you operate your battery discharge as 2.56 KWH.

2 Likes 2 ·
2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@Kobina Obu Beecham

The battery's Bulk V means the same as Victron's Absorb V. Float same on both. See what happens when you set to recommended values.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Kobina Obu Beecham

Bulk/absorption is definitely set a bit high there, the battery is trying to say 'no more, thanks'.

3 Likes 3 ·
Kobina Obu Beecham avatar image
Kobina Obu Beecham answered ·

Thanks for the suggestions.
I have noticed that when I make the ff changes:
Absorption Voltage = 27.8V
Floating Voltage = 27.5V
VE Configure automatically sets the battery type to "no corresponding default"

screenshot-2024-04-29-111038.png

When I click on battery type and choose Lithium Iron Phosphate, the software automatically modifies the settings to:
Absorption Voltage = 28.4V
Floating Voltage = 27.0V

screenshot-2024-04-29-110025.png

I am going to ahead and create a new battery type to upload into the Multiplus. Hopefully this should adapt the Multplus to charge this particular battery accordingly.
1714390490986.png

Is it safe to upload this configuration into the Multiplus? Should the Charge Curve remain Fixed?

2 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@Kobina Obu Beecham

Yes, that should be ok. A 1hr Fixed Absorb time is fairly typical, but these little details should be checked with the battery supplier when you get a chance. They're the ones holding the warranty..

1 Like 1 ·
Kobina Obu Beecham avatar image Kobina Obu Beecham JohnC ♦ commented ·

Thanks so much everyone.

Uploaded the configuration, the Multiplus accepted it and the system has not gone off since the change. I think it always happened when the battery charge level crossed the 95% threshold.

screenshot-2024-04-29-135133.pngOnce again thanks everyone.
Victron sure rocks

0 Likes 0 ·