question

ronski avatar image
ronski asked

Scheduled charging didn't start after updating Lynx Shunt firmware

Last night I updated the firmware on my Lynx Shunt 1000A VE.Can, after the update no SOC was shown, I didn't think it would be an issue and just reset when fully charged.

I have a schedule set for every night to recharge my batteries as much as possible between 2am and 5am on the cheap rate electric, this has worked since setup just over a year ago.

I got woken at 3am with a works related alarm call, and whilst checking CCTV on my computer I noticed my batteries were not charging, as a quick fix I used a Node Red automation I have setup for something else to charge them.

Question is why didn't the scheduled charge come on, I suspect because it didn't know the SOC, does this mean its broken, especially as I have it set to reach 100%.

1714109932144.png

scheduled charge
1714109932144.png (34.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Ronski

Best not leave the shunt showing just dashes instead of SOC. Try to force a value into it, even a guess.

I had this happen to me a few days ago when I had to isolate the batteries for a few minutes, Smartshunt in my case, showed dashes (which it shouldn't do just on power loss), and I couldn't even force a value. So I knew something was wrong. It took quite a while and a bit of head scratching, but eventually sorted itself after a couple of GX reboots. Digital knot maybe, a bug even, but I couldn't pin it down enough to warrant a report.

I wasn't prepared to leave the shunt showing dashes, and you probably shoudn't either..

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ronski avatar image ronski commented ·
Thanks for the reply, I really can't see a problem leaving it showing dashes, especially when I know its going to get a full charge. The shunt doesn't control charging, that's all down to voltage, it does have some baring on discharging though with regards to the minimum SOC set. The VRM system overview graph even switched to showing voltage, whereas it would normally display SOC.

Anyway the batteries reached full charge around lunch time, and during absorption the shunt reset to 100% as it should.

0 Likes 0 ·
janieronen avatar image
janieronen answered ·

Same happened with my Lynx shunt that when updated FW SOC status were lost. Changed ESS mode to "keep batteries charged" and when battery voltage hit set-point SOC is showing 100% again. Any automation linked to SOC would not work like scheduled charging without SOC information.

So next time after update is important to check all values are shown correctly.

1 comment
2 |3000

ronski avatar image ronski commented ·

Considering the shunt has kept other historic information, it seems odd that it loses the SOC information, which I appreciate once that's gone automations relying on it can't function, but if the scheduled charge is set to 100% as mine is, well that's very clear cut that the aim is to fully charge the batteries.

The batteries reached full charge around lunch time, and during absorption the shunt reset to 100% as it should.

I shall try to remember these little idiosyncrasies in future.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic