question

the-doon avatar image
the-doon asked

Starter battery charger MultiPlus-II 12/3000 information

I’m chasing information on the trickle charger function. Either I’m looking in the wrong locations or there isn’t much information available. Does anyone know any specifics on how it works? Does it use the same charge profile as the house battery but limits the current to 4A? I have lithium house battery and lead acid starter battery.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

It's just a transistor and it's always active.

I would not recommend to use it in a setup with lithium and lead. There will always be a current flow from the lithium batteries to the lead battery because the lithium has a slightly higher voltage level.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

the-doon avatar image the-doon commented ·
Thank you for the reply Matthias, that’s answers my question perfectly.
0 Likes 0 ·
luphi avatar image
luphi answered ·

I use it to keep the starter battery charged 24/7. Starter voltage is then ~ 0.6V - 0.7V lower than the house battery. Quite handy during the winter, when the camper van is rarely used.

At the beginning, I used one of the Cerbo's relays to switch it, but since I run out of relays, it's permanently on. No issues at all. By the way, house battery is lithium ;-)1714119046712.png

1714119046712.png (59.6 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Thank you for the info. One of my concerns is the trickle charger switching the DCDC charger on or it staying on once the engine is turned off.
0 Likes 0 ·
kocki avatar image
kocki answered ·

I disconnected the starter battery from my Multiplus. 2 years ago there was a offshore power shutdown and no sunshine for several days. My started battery died and also all my service batteries. Since this time I'm using a 3A B2B charger instead of the starter battery output of my multiplus. No issues again since this modification.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks for the info.
0 Likes 0 ·