question

Sarah avatar image
Sarah asked

Orion XS Future Features ??

I’m very happy to have received and installed two new Orion XS chargers this week. The good news is they are fantastic and integrate perfectly with the Victron kit. But what got me really intrigued (I didn’t want to say excited) was the new variables that I discovered when configuring the Orion XS in VRM.

- Alternator temperature

- Alternator rpm

- Field voltage (%)

This could be long term future planning but I like where this is going. Any hints Victron?

The not so good news is that I can now see how poorly my 70 amp Hitachi alternator performs (it struggles to output 40 amps when cold). Time to consider a Balmer upgrade ;-)

orion xs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

There are a few features planned but I don't think reading information from the alternator are planned.

I think for the most users that information are not very interesting.

For most alternators the rated current is not a continuous current it's just a peak current.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cybermaus avatar image cybermaus commented ·

It would be nice if they would "tweak" a variant of the "Smart Battery Sense" in such a way that when "smart networked" its voltage would be considered XS remote sense input voltage and its temperature would be considered "alternator temp". So it could tune down a bit on load if the alternator is too hot. But yeah, field voltage seems unneeded.

0 Likes 0 ·