question

pfleu avatar image
pfleu asked

Van rig from one to two Orion DC to DC chargers...

orions-in-van.jpgHI all

I was wondering, since I already got one Orion 12/12-30 to rig in my van, what wire gauge should I pass from the van's battery to the Orion to be able to hook up a second Orion (probably the new 50A model) eventually. I don't want to re-do everything again in the future so passing an oversized wire seems ok ? Van batt 3 meters (10 feet) away from the Orion(s).

Would going from #1 to #2 be ok regarding all the wires gauges and connections ?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge !

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
orions-in-van.jpg (119.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
eljefe avatar image
eljefe answered ·

Equipment chassis ground of inverter should be no more than 1 gauge smaller than the +cable supplying the inverter. If you followed that rule, you may be able to put a larger cable to your dc-dc +bussbar. Use a dc circuit sizer to calculate your +feed to your dc-dc bussbar. I would attach a PDF of one of our CAD drawings of your exact situation but not sure the forumn allows.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Forum does allow. Depending on you having sufficient previous posts. Try, it will reject if it doesn't like it.
0 Likes 0 ·