question

seatom avatar image
seatom asked

Swap Trimetric batery meter to BMV

Hello, I am new to this board but hope I get answer.

I bought a 27foot used sailboat and the pre owner installed lot of "cool" things. To view the batery Charge there is a Trimetric meter installed. But I do not like it. It is installed next to round gauges and it make Dashboard look no good at all. So I was looking Amazon for a new meter. and found Victron BMV have round Display and blutooth. This is what I like.

So my question, there is a measure blok next to batery with cable go to Trimetric. Can I use the blok with BMV meter or do I have to Change the blok? This is lot of work.

thanks.

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

What you are referring to is called a current shunt. It has a calibrated resistance so that the small voltage drop across it under load can be used to precisely calculate the current in the circuit.

If may be 'technically possible' to adapt the PCB board from the shunt provided with the BMV to your existing shunt and if you know the specifications of your existing shunt you can program it into the BMV.

BUT I would highly advise against it.

A shunt only has 2 interfacing bolts for wiring + the mounting screws, so I would simply replace it with the new and correct shunt supplied with your BMV. It should not be a difficult task and then you will know that it's done right.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seatom avatar image seatom commented ·

Thanks, I swap that too.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ seatom commented ·

No worries, yes it would be the better/safer option.

0 Likes 0 ·