question

mattfr avatar image
mattfr asked

Peak power Multiplus 2

The peak power of the Multiplus 2 5000, is stated as 9kW. Is that just from the inverter (not including any grid contribution)? What is the duration of that specified peak delivery? Thanks.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @MattFR,

It depends on temperature, battery voltage, and AC output voltage.

For more insight into what an inverter overload is, and how it is triggered there is a detailed training available here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SXtGIx0x5w

Here is a little teaser about some of those details:

cleanshot-2024-04-10-at-144119.jpg

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mattfr avatar image mattfr commented ·
Thanks for the answer Guy. Not sure why Victron would state a 9kW figure without context. I'll check the training link.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ mattfr commented ·
@MattFR

9kW is without context because the context is installation related which is extremely variable.

How long it is sustained (and if the system even can do it) is hugely affected by that.

The overloads are pretty much the same across all the equipment.

No system should be sized using the peak. It is there for 'mistakes' and maybe large short peak start draws which settle to nominal quickly, such as pumps and motors.

1 Like 1 ·
It’s a guideline specification - but the reality is more complex.

As you’ll see by the training video, there is only so much space available on the datasheets for what can be a quite a detailed explanation depending on lots of variables including the load itself.

0 Likes 0 ·
mattfr avatar image mattfr Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
Yes point taken However my understanding of a peak delivery capability of a piece of equipment is a value it can sustain safely into a specified load for a given time with a given voltage drop. Otherwise it really has no use value. Makes for good marketing though, if taken at first glance.
0 Likes 0 ·
I would already differentiate between the peak specification and the word sustain.

None of the peak or surge values should be considered sustained in any sense. They are overloads, and permitting them makes the unit a lot more reliable (because loads often spike up on startup, or multiple simultaneously inrushing), but really should not be depended on for any length of time in normal operation.

The only value that should be considered sustained is 4000W into resistive load with power factor of 1, at a controlled ambient temperature of 25 degrees, with maximum airflow around the unit. That should be rock solid.

Other than that there is a huge variability in peak, especially on very very short time frames (1/50th of a second) up to the maximum current output of 50A, around where other protections such as the short circuit output protection are engaged.

I am sure the bigger numbers are used for marketing, but given the otherwise freely publicly available in depth resources available (here is another good one once you have finished the overload training) I don't think we are being disingenuous in any of the info provided.

2 Likes 2 ·