question

mcfrojd avatar image
mcfrojd asked

Data usage, sends 500mb of data to amazon cloud

I noticed high data usage when i powered on my system in my RV for the first time this season.

My provider showed a almost 500mb usage ped day!

I use a Teltonika RUT240 as my 4g router/modem and installed "Darkstat" to see my data usage.

I can se that my raspberry pi with venus os 3.30 was sending about 20 mb data per hour to an amazon cloud address (ec2-3-76-13-103.eu-central-1.compute.amazonaws.com) using the internal port 58374 on the pi.

When i made a traffic rule in the firewall blocking all traffic on that port the data usage went down to the usual 5mb per day.

I cant seem to notice that anything is not working by blocking that port, but im curious about what is using that port and using all my mobile data.

If anyone have any idea about this or know another way of testing what is causing this i would be glad.

screenshot-kontor-matte-2024-04-09-11-1452.jpg

screenshot-kontor-matte-2024-04-09-11-1513.jpg

Raspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@mcfrojd

Not normal at all. But there are a few things new users do that increases data usage in the beginning. The main on is connecting often to check ;).

What is the logging interval set at?

Using the remote console eats data.

So does leaving the VRM portal open on the dashboard.

And firmware updates so turn off auto ones.

Disable all services not being used like modbus and mqtt.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

On mine I have seen up to a gig, which I can only ascribe to VRM being open a lot, as no updates were applied (mine are manual).

But other days it uses 45meg.

2 |3000

mcfrojd avatar image
mcfrojd answered ·

Interval is 5 min
Realtime updates: off in vrm
Not having vrm open
Firmware updates: off
Packagemanager github downloads: off

2 |3000

mcfrojd avatar image
mcfrojd answered ·

windowsterminal-nnhiugmhsl.pngToday i turned of:VRM 2 way communicationVRM turned off

If i run netstat on the PI i see 2 different connections to an amazon cloud server.
Is there any other data besides vrm that is beeing sent to a cloud server?

Right now i have my pi connected at home and im running some measurements to see what data usage is beeing used.

2 |3000