question

vdubxs avatar image
vdubxs asked

Best app settings for an Orion Smart 12v|12v-18A Isolated charger in a 1964 VW Splitscreen

I currently have an Victron Orion Smart 12v|12v-18A Isolated charger in my 1964 VW Splitscreen. Stupidly after a recent firmware update, for some unknown reason, I started playing with the settings and obviously messed up something!

My set-up was all working previously, so assume the wiring is all correct.

My Set-up

VictronOrion Smart 12v|12v-18A Isolated charger connected to a Bosch S4 027 12 Lead Acid (Starter Battery) and a Platinum 100Ah AGM LB6110 leisure battery

Charging from a 75amp Alternator on my old air-cooled engine

I also have connected a Victron SmartSolar Charger MPPT 75/10 for separate solar charging.

I think I might have thought, oh, what is Battery Equalisation, and turned it on briefly, as soon after, I could no longer start the bus!

I have turned that off now obviously. Unfortunately, I did not save my previous settings, so am wondering what the best settings are for my set-up as described.

Anyone able to advise or recommend app settings for both devices would be greatly appreciated…

This is my bus…

https://www.vdubxs.com/

applocalsettings
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Only use equalisation on batteries that the maker says it should be done. Safest is to set equalisation voltage to the same value as absorption, then disable it. That way if you accidently start it again, no harm done.

If you have no maker settings, absorption 14.4V, float 13.6 would be a good starting point. Use adaptive absorption period.

I expect you need engine initiated charging, a start voltage over 14 will probably be good, with a cut out around 13V.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vdubxs avatar image
vdubxs answered ·

Thanks, I probably need to be in the bus again and work through each device's settings to get it all back to the correct options then? Are there obvious things I should turn off or have disabled?

2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Not really. If you can't sort it out, please post the battery and engine detection settings so we can see what's going on.
0 Likes 0 ·
vdubxs avatar image vdubxs kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Will do, that might be simpler…
0 Likes 0 ·
vdubxs avatar image
vdubxs answered ·

OK, battery settings on the VictronOrion Smart 12v|12v-18A Isolatedvictronorion-smart-12v12v-18a-isolated-005.png

Should the engine detection be on or off?

2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Battery type spiral cell is wrong for standard AGMs. Use the second Victron Deep discharge AGM.

Engine detect should be on, unless you want to switch it manually. These settings look good, may need tweaking in future, but probably not.

0 Likes 0 ·
vdubxs avatar image vdubxs kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
The Gel Victron deep discharge (1) preset?
0 Likes 0 ·
vdubxs avatar image
vdubxs answered ·

if the engine detection is on, these are the settings?

victronorion-smart-12v12v-18a-isolated-003.png

2 |3000

vdubxs avatar image
vdubxs answered ·

then I’m unsure about the input voltage lockout, should that be on or off?

victronorion-smart-12v12v-18a-isolated-001.png

2 |3000

vdubxs avatar image
vdubxs answered ·

The Victron SmartSolar Charger MPPT 75:10 settings are this…

victron-smartsolar-charger-mppt-7510.png

2 |3000

vdubxs avatar image
vdubxs answered ·

hope this helps?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic