question

mvanr avatar image
mvanr asked

Victron Quattro restart configuration

I have a 10kVA Quattro off grid on a very remote farm which is unmanned. I have internet connectivity which I use for remote monitoring. Every few months, there are a few successive cloudy days and the batteries get depleted to the point where the inverter shuts down. I’m aware that it will try to restart when the voltage goes back up, but based on past experience this is before the batteries can sustain the load, so the restart will fail and after a further two restarts, the Quattro gives up.

This has just happened and I’m now faced with a 6 hour drive to get things working again. Wouldn’t it be possible for Victron to allow users to configure the time between attempted restarts, and possibly how many restarts to attempt? In my case, I’d be happy to wait 24 hours if the first restart fails, and a further 48 hours if the second fails. This way, the batteries would have a chance to recharge properly before the restart is attempted.

Or is there an alternative way of solving this problem that I’m not aware of?

Quattro-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@mvanr

Yes. The problem is already identified - the battery cannot do the surge.

You program a load shed (using AC out 2). With a delayed SOC restart compared to the rest of the system for larger loads.

Or use relay methods to delay heavy load starts. And stagger them out.

Alternatively only allow a whole system restart at a much higher battery SOC level so it allows the battery to handle the surge.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvanr avatar image mvanr commented ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm offsite now, but as far as I am aware the restart SOC level is quite high already. We use a separate Victron charger to charge the batteries, and have a colour control attached to both the inverter and the charger. For restart purposes, won't the inverter be looking at the charge voltage to determine SOC, and won't charge voltage will go high as soon as there's good PV input but before the batteries are sufficiently charged? My impression is that it's hard to know the actual battery voltage while they are being charged. This system has 4 Pylontech lithium batteries connected by the CAN bus, but I'm not sure how accurate the info that the Quattro receives is...
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Quattro II Product page

Quattro II Online Manual

Pre-RMA bench test instructions.

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic