question

jkoffler avatar image
jkoffler asked

VRM does not alert when Quattro is in failure

All-

Does anyone have any similar experience with the following scenario:

1. Quattro running on PV and inverting (normal operation).

2. PV drops below minimum panel voltage and Quattro goes to qualify shore power.

3. Short cycles where PV recovers within 3 minutes to recovery panel voltage.

4. The above happens 3x within 15 minutes -- Quattro goes into fault.

Now, we're making adjustments so that the panel voltage has a larger delta and we look for the transition time to be more (15 minutes). There is also some anectodal information we know of where the Quattro will attempt to qualify AC up to three times and give up -- which seems to be happening here. The issue is, however, that once in fault, we are not alerted via notification and unless we access VRM and go into the installation on the portal.

So my questions are:

1. Is this normal behavior? Should VRM be alerting us?

2. Does anyone know the timeframe that the Quattro will attempt to qualify power? Is it up to three failures in 15 minutes? Something else?

Thank you.

john

Quattro-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@jkoffler

In the alarms section make an alarm for ve bus state.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jkoffler avatar image
jkoffler answered ·

Simple enough. Would have thought this would have been a stock notification. Will give it a shot. Any idea on the qualification timeframe/parameters?

I'm guessing I can just scan dbus as well for the "VebusError" below.

ShortIds 1

Soc -

State 9

SystemReset 0

VebusChargeState 2

VebusError 0

VebusMainState 4

VebusSetChargeState 0

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Vrm only works if the GX stays online and internet is alive and not dropped when power is lost. The GX, if active, should log the cause as well in the remote console.

It should catch up with old logs when power is restored.

3 retries, every 30 seconds, is pretty standard for a number of fault conditions.

2 |3000

jkoffler avatar image
jkoffler answered ·

We never lost the CerboGX or connectivity, the batteries in the system still had a charge. There was no notification of the Quattro being in fault. We did change values and timeouts for the minimum time before attempting to go back to shore from PV. Will probably set up a scenario to test again and replicate the issue. I've written a test for the vebus error flag and will see if that is all we need. I've also been able to write to dbus to reset and it gets us out of the error condition, so I'll see if this is an avenue where we can alert and a tech can reset if needed.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Quattro II Product page

Quattro II Online Manual

Pre-RMA bench test instructions.

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic