question

jimgodfrey avatar image
jimgodfrey asked

Can Quattro 2x120 AC-IN-2 charge batteries if no power is available on AC-IN-1?

Can Quattro 2x120 AC-IN-2 charge batteries if no power is available on AC-IN-1? This question arose when reading the Quattro manual found here: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Quattro-II_12-24V_3kVA_2x_120V/32424-MultiPlus-II___Quattro-II_120V-230V-pdf-en.pdf

On page 13 there is a note that reads:

Note: The Quattro-II may not start when AC is present only on AC-in-2, and DC battery voltage is 10% or more below nominal (less than 22 Volt in case of a 24 Volt battery). Solution: connect AC power to AC-in-1, or recharge the battery.

Everything else I read in the manual, including the block diagram, suggests that charging can take place as long as there is power available on input 1 OR input 2. I don't understand what this note means. Any why would the battery SOC affect it?

The vendor I bought the Quattro from suggested that Input 2 is just a pass through and can not be charged from. I hope he is wrong as that would defeat the whole idea of using the Quattro on any dual source system. Hoping somebody can shed some light on this note. Thanks in advance!

Quattro-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The L2 inputs are pass-thru only but the AC L1 in 2 would feed the inverter/charger core if AC in 1 is absent.

The not is about starting the Quattro if the batter voltage is so low that it won't start the unit. It is unlikely you'd ever let the battery get to such a low voltage.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jimgodfrey avatar image jimgodfrey commented ·
Kevin, thanks, That is what I thought. Unfortunately the first 15 times I read that note, for some reason , my brain jumped to thinking it wouldn't charge the battery if the SOC was more than 10% less than full. (yes a brain fart) It very clearly states if VOLTAGE is less than 10% below nominal which in my case is 12V so 10.8 volts threshold. Having LiFEpo4 batteries, that is nearly dead and my BMS will have turned them off by then. In that case, which should never happen, I'll nee to use another method to wake/charge them up to above 10.8volts. I've got a couple methods on board to do that. So I guess I'm all set! Appreciate the reply!
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Quattro II Product page

Quattro II Online Manual

Pre-RMA bench test instructions.

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic