question

thebelcherman avatar image
thebelcherman asked

VeCanSetup troubleshooting

@Kevin Windrem @fguiot

Kevin, how do I start trouble shooting my Waveshare Dual CAN non FD hat? It worked this morning and Fred Guiot and I, were working on my DT-R008 and then I noticed all my CAN devices were offline.

I built the RPi up from scratch, I've swapped RPi's. Loaded known working .iso's. I can't get it working. Ordered a new one if I killed it somehow, all we did was load RpiGpioSetup, and I Enable Shutdown pin on Raspberry PI. But love to see what it's problem is, or at least try.

Installs perfectly,

dmesg shows no signs of issues, yet if I looked at either port it's in a STOPPED State.

[ 5.826947] CAN device driver interface

[ 5.878591] mcp251x spi0.1 can0: MCP2515 successfully initialized.

[ 5.898238] mcp251x spi0.0 can1: MCP2515 successfully initialized.

[ 5.909131] mcp251x spi0.1 can9: renamed from can0

[ 5.977599] mcp251x spi0.0 can8: renamed from can1

messages no longer shows, can 8 or 9 transition to UP

Apr 6 22:56:43 raspberrypi4 daemon.info connmand[778]: can8 {newlink} index 6 address 00:00:00:00:00:00 mtu 16

Apr 6 22:56:43 raspberrypi4 daemon.info connmand[778]: can8 {newlink} index 6 operstate 2 <DOWN>

Apr 6 22:56:43 raspberrypi4 daemon.info connmand[778]: can9 {newlink} index 5 address 00:00:00:00:00:00 mtu 16

Apr 6 22:56:43 raspberrypi4 daemon.info connmand[778]: can9 {newlink} index 5 operstate 2 <DOWN>

This is from an old log

Mar 5 02:18:28 raspberrypi4 daemon.info connmand[741]: can8 {newlink} index 5 operstate 6 <UP>

state-stopped.png

don't have udevadm, on this thing. Don't know where to start. If it dead, oh well, $20 I live :)

Thanks man!

modifications
state-stopped.png (100.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

There is a known conflict between the "standard" RPI GPIO pins used for relays and digital inputs with the 2-channel CANbut hats. Try the alternate GPIO assignments when setting up RpiGpioSetup.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thebelcherman avatar image thebelcherman commented ·

@Kevin Windrem Master Kevin, just installed RpiGpioSetup much happier selecting the alternate gpio_list with that CAN hat on there.

Frederic @fguiot and I are still trying to figure out why we don't have any Digital Inputs with his RemoteGPIO on the Digntian DT-R008 using the RPi, but yours works flawlessly.

rpigpiosetup.png

No such Digital inputs are listed when using RemoteGPIO.

But there is some conflicting information in the GitHub ReadMe and the gpio_list that it installed using v4.7

Readme says you move relay 5 from GPIO 23 to 12, that holds. Now relay 6 in the ReadMe says it will be moved from GPIO 24 to 20. Not the case, it moves it to GPIO 4. Still no conflict, just never updated the ReadMe. Don't know if I can fix it, but I'll see if I can figure it out. Thanks Kevin!

0 Likes 0 ·
rpigpiosetup.png (105.4 KiB)
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem thebelcherman commented ·
Thanks for the heads up I fixed the ReadMe and changes will be included in the next update.
0 Likes 0 ·
thebelcherman avatar image thebelcherman Kevin Windrem commented ·

You the man! Looking at both gpio_list and gpio_listForCanHats files.

At the bottom of each, has a note on digital input 6.

"Note this input is NOT added to the available I/O used by Venus OS"

Does this mean that the Console should only display 5 Digital inputs, 1-5? Not 6, like my mine is displaying?

rpigpiosetup.png

0 Likes 0 ·
rpigpiosetup.png (105.4 KiB)
thebelcherman avatar image thebelcherman thebelcherman commented ·

@Kevin Windrem

Pulled the RpiGpioSetup repo, says I don't have write access. Made some changes to the ReadMe. Attaching them here.

Just some typo's and described the differences between the FD and Non-FD variants of the WS hats, and the justified cost difference. Updated GPIO's uses in the alternate set, also included and example of a manual install that hasn't failed me once.

Attaching proposed changes to help the new users and the proposed ReadMe.

ReadMe Changes.txtReadMe.txt

0 Likes 0 ·
readme.txt (4.9 KiB)
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem thebelcherman commented ·
Thanks for the updates.
0 Likes 0 ·
thebelcherman answered ·

Read all about them, and it all makes sense. Nothing but the following are installed:

SetupHelp: v7.15

VeCanSetup: 3.12

ShutdownMonitor: 3.1

RpiTemperature: v1.2

No other indication of issues, other than can8 and can 9 in a state: STOPPED.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow when the new hat arrives? Just love to know what I did to kill it.

2 |3000

thebelcherman answered ·

Update, new WaveShare CAN Hat installed, working like a champ. Either I killed it or it just died. Back on-line.

Got the unit on the bench and the NovoSense Digital Isolator checked out, there is one Chinese part I can find a data-sheet on a.

No Logo

Markings

K-CUT 2334

B0505LS-1W.

Oh well, it was dead. Still painful for an engineer not to know why.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Experiments, Modifications and Adaptions. Mods (Modifications) can be made to Victron Software by the Community. Please use the modifications space for enthusiasts who want to push what is possible, without official Victron Support.