question

chalkmark avatar image
chalkmark asked

Quattro generator overload, lithium batteries

I am in the early stages of designing and installing a PV system based around a Quattro 24V 8k.

Initially the system will only function on the 8000W generator.

I have x4 12.8V 200A lithium batteries series/Parallel connected (make: Bate with integral BMS - no external connections to this). System voltage thus 25.6V.

The on battery displays all show a charge state of 72%.

I can find only the most minimal documentation for these batteries.

With the generator set running and warm (with no problems presently supplying the house needs of ~4kW) when I connect and turn on the Quattro the generator fails to deliver the power required and dies.

All dip switches are set to factory configuration(Off) and have not been touched so Power Assist 11A and Power Control 6A ought to be enabled. ds3 and ds 4 are both in the Off position thus charge normally limited to 25% despite the data sheet saying the default position 75% (ds4 On and ds3 Off). whilst clearly stating factory setting Off for ALL dip switches, all rather confusing

I have two principal questions:

1) Will the BMS integrated system handle the battery management more or less regardless of the Quattro's battery settings?

2) Most importantly, what is causing the generator to shut down/overload and where should I start looking?

Quattro SN: HQ2239PJPEH.

Many thanks.

Mark

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Chalkmark

Spring for an MK3 to usb adaptor. Or a GX at least. DIP switches are a bit of a hit and miss if you get the sequence wrong.

Ideally you need to update your firmware and program specific voltages for the battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
chalkmark avatar image chalkmark Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Thank you for your response. Reading the configuration guide for VE.Bus products I read "Configuring our Inverter/chargers, such as Multis and Quattros, requires both training and experience. Victron offers no direct support for un-trained individuals carrying-out configuration. Settings are protected by a password. This password is provided with Victron training. Please contact your Victron Distributor for further information."

I have been commissioned by the end user to install the system and sadly have no Victron accreditation. Is a work around possible?

0 Likes 0 ·
delf67 avatar image delf67 chalkmark commented ·

Free online training is available, search "victron professional account".

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
delf67 avatar image
delf67 answered ·

Is the generator actually 8000W or 8000VA (which would be 6400W @ 0.8 pf). Are you trying to charge the batteries in addition to the 4kW house load? Do you have any way to confirm what the DC charge current is other than interpreting the dip switches?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chalkmark avatar image
chalkmark answered ·

Generator is 8kVA and cuts out immediately when charge to batteries should start, the house AC is disconnected. As the generator dies (and no AC grid available) it is not possible to measure what the potential DC charge current could possibly be. I can only imagine resetting the dip switches (although the factory settings already appear correct) may possible resolve the issue. Is there a clear and relatively foolproof procedure to do this??

If I interpret the dip switches correctly all ought to function correctly!

1 comment
2 |3000

delf67 avatar image delf67 commented ·
You are right that it should work "out of the box", but obviously something is not quite right and without either a GX device in the system or a MK3 to USB and a laptop trying to work out what is wrong is a little difficult.

Is the generator connected to the AC1 or AC2 input? With the default dip switch settings AC2 is limited to 6.3A (AC1 in default 50A), so that might be worth trying. That will limit the draw to approx 1500VA and if the generator still dies on this setting something else is fundamentally wrong.
0 Likes 0 ·
Fideri avatar image
Fideri answered ·

As @Alexandra said, an MK3 is simply required to program and/or tweak the Quattro. DIP switches simply won't do unless your system is basic. Anybody can setup a free account on Victron Professional and do the necessary training. Of course, this won't magically solve your problems. You must know what you are doing with some help. The password is freely available.

F.

2 |3000