question

kai-fuchs avatar image
kai-fuchs asked

Maximise self consumption & peak shaving with multiplus

Hey Community, I'm currently planning an installation consisting of 1 Multiplus 48/5000 (or 48/8000) with 7kwh pylontech battery storage and roughly 4,5kw solar array (this to start with, possible extension later). All managed by a cerbo GX.

The goal is to maximize self consumption, I want to power the house mainly of solar & battery. I can not feed into the grit, and I don't want to charge the battery of the grit. I understand that I can set the ESS up in a way that if a minimum SOC (eg.35%) is reached all the power will come from the grid.

Can I still tell the Multi to do peak shaving after I reached my min SOC? This is necessary cause the energy supplier charges a base rate for the max peak power supplied. To make the hole system more economical I would like to limit the grid power at all times to eg. 3kW to have a low base rate.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

the ess has a grid set point that you can set to what ever you want ie 3000 this means the max drawn from the grid would be 3000 unless SOC falls below mu=in setting, there is also a schedule charge option that you can use to recharge IF NEEDED during set times up to a max SOC setting. there are 4 schedule charge settings that can each be set for different times and options

once you have the system installed and work out the settings and how they interact .

are you going for grid tie (AC Connected ) or direct to the battery MPPT.

Myself I prefer grid tie as the output from the solar then adds to the multiplus output so during daylight hrs you can use larger equipment still charges the battery back through the multiplus when there is more solar than whats being used.

the battery bank and the BMS interface is one of the important items the pylontech seem to be fine, from what the copmunity says (I dont use them myself)

anyway have fun as you start on a new learning curve

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kai-fuchs avatar image kai-fuchs commented ·

I've no experience with grit tie inverters, I was always set on MPPT straight to the battery and I guess I'll go in the first step with MPPT…

But you got a point, especially cause I'm thinking of a hybrid electric water heater to use excess solar, that would quickly overload the Multi, if another device, dishwasher or power tools starts.

I'll probably start basic and then extend the system likely with a grit tie inverter as needed.

0 Likes 0 ·