question

mcaterer avatar image
mcaterer asked

BMV 712 Wiring for No Boundaries Camper

Hello, I'd like to add a BMV 712 monitor to my camper while I'm upgrading it to 2 12V lithium batteries and a solar suitcase connection in addition to the existing solar setup. I haven't been able to find a wiring diagram for this specific setup so I'd like to double-check.

Currently my battery has 1 positive wire and 3 negative wires connected to the battery terminals. I'm not sure what the 3 negative wires are, but I think they all need to be connected to the load side of the shunt. I'm planning to connect everything in this way. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

screenshot-2024-04-04-at-105716-am.png

BMV Battery Monitorwiring diagram
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

The solar negative wire MUST be connected to the load/system side of the shunt NOT the battery negative. The shunt can then count how much charge current comes in from the solar.

Also consider connecting the batteries diagonally, so connect the positive wire from your loads to battery 2 with the solar positive and leave the BMV connected to battery 1, this keeps the battery use more evenly balanced.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mcaterer avatar image
mcaterer answered ·

Thank you for the help. So I think the wiring diagram should actually look like this:

screenshot-2024-04-05-at-115318-am.png

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic