question

nibheis avatar image
nibheis asked

"dirty" AC input on Multi RS Solar 48/6000 - how to filter ?

Hi all !

I have been using my Multi RS Solar 48/6000 with AC input from the grid without pb up to 16A (max for shore power) ~ 3500 W.
Last week-end, I serviced the genset on board (Onan MDKBH 4KW) and ran tests for the first time, powering the Multi RS Solar 48/6000 with it.
Manually ramping AC input limit from 4 A up to 8 A : no problems

At 10 A, I could see the input power rapidly rising to ~ 2000 W (as expected), then dropping suddenly to 0 W... and then repeating this cycle over and over again. No errors reported on the genset, which kept running at 2400 rpm all the way. On the RS Multi side, I failed to check if there was any error code - I admit I was too focused on the genset...

From this test on marine genset by Victron, I can see that the MDKBH produces a "dirty" current/voltage as the load increases.

Could this be the reason of the problem ? At some point the current produced by to genset is too distorted for the Multi RS and the latter turns the AC input down as a protection ?

I could not find anything the manual related to THD limits on the AC input. Anyone ever had a similar problem ? What would be the reported error ?

Arrf, I just found out in the the manual that the "UPS function" should be disabled by for greater compatibility with gensets.

I am planning on adding a mains harmonic filter to clean/rectify the output of the genset. Any recommendation ?

GeneratorMulti RS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Take a look in the generator FAQ linked below, may help.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.