question

Mark avatar image
Mark asked

Blue smart charger IP22 not working with smart mppt’s

Hi all

I have 2 smart mppt controllers (that work well, they sync charging states fine).

I have a caravan setup.

I have a blue smart charger ip22 12/30, to charge batteries off mains when required.

The current SOC is 64.7%, with a discharging current of 3.7A.

If I turn on the blue smart charger (at mains), the charger reports it is in absorption charge and has zero A output. This triggers the mppts to go into absorption mode.

If I disconnect the solar inputs to the mppts, the blue smart charger then goes into Storage mode with 0A output.

I have taken some screen shots.

I even left the charger on overnight to see what would happen still no charging.

Help thoughts.

IMG_0648.jpegIMG_0651.jpegIMG_0649.jpegIMG_0650.pngIMG_0650.jpegIMG_0655.jpegIMG_0656.jpegIMG_0655.jpeg

I’m having trouble uploading the other pics, I will try again.

Cheers

Mark

charger
img-0648.jpeg (265.3 KiB)
img-0651.jpeg (298.7 KiB)
img-0649.jpeg (210.6 KiB)
img-0650.jpeg (248.8 KiB)
img-0655.jpeg (285.7 KiB)
img-0656.jpeg (318.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

This morning I turned on the Smart charger and it went straight into storage mode zero A’s. Battery SOC 49.8%.

Later in the day after speaking to a dealer, he said check the fuse, so I pulled the fuse (it looked ok) and put a multimeter across it 0 Ohms.

Put fuse back in and checked tightness of cables (ok).

Turned on unit and it went straight into bulk mode and 30A coming out of it. So dammed if I know. Been on now for over 8 hrs and still charging up the batteries.

So I will see what happens tomorrow to see if it finishes charging over night.

Any thoughts.

Cheers

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Unless externally controlled by a GX device, the chargers and MPPTs work on the voltage they measure across the output terminals. This determines switching between bulk/absorption/float/off states. Unless you have a BMV or smartshunt in the system, SOC values are approximate and can be a long way off reality.

It sounds as if the MPPTs are in a smart network. I don't think the IP22 has this.

Set the battery charge parameters identically in the MPPTs and IP22. This should get them to coordinate their charging. At present it seems the chargers are confusing each other. Possibly compounded by a nearly full battery.

1 comment
2 |3000

Mark avatar image Mark commented ·
Hi

I do have a bmv-712 and cerbo gx in this system. Yes the charger ip22 12/30 and the mppt see each other and when a charging state changes on one it changes on the others.

All charge profiles are set to victron lithium.

Also the batteries had a reported 13.5 voltage and with 219.5Ah draw from them.

Thanks for the reply

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic