question

gerhard-2 avatar image
gerhard-2 asked

Continuous reboot cycle

Hi. I have a Multiplus II, Gerbo GX and MPPT 150/85, 12 Panels and 2x Averge 4.8kwh batteries. The batteries are managed by their internal BMS software. When the batteries are completely drained ( and there is no grid input), the system goes into acontinous reboot cycle, untill the PV output maches the current power consumption. Is there a way to "tell" the system, not to output power, untill the batteries reach a certain %, lets say 20%. Do I need to get additional hardware? The company who installed the system, cannot iffer a solution for this challenge.

reboot
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Completely draining a battery is a bad idea. You need to configure the system to have a low SOC cutoff with a reasonable restart voltage so it isn't immediately pulled down by loads and forces the system offline. At zero charge, cells will likely also be imbalanced and the BMS can shut the battery off. This is why a minimum cutoff (above 0) is needed.

Any competent installer should be able to do this, and the battery supplier must be able to provide suitable parameters.

If you are using ESS, this also has cutoff and restart values configured which needs to suit the battery.

Refer to the setup guide:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VEConfigure_Manual/en/inverter-settings.html

If the battery is not connected over CAN, you should install a shunt/BMV to accurately track SOC.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gerhard-2 avatar image
gerhard-2 answered ·

Thanks Nick. The cut out on my batteries are set to 7%.With drained, I meant down to 7%. Batteries are connected over CAN.

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Ok cool, then adjust your restart voltage in the inverter and look at the dynamic cutoff and restart in ESS.

Restart is usually around 51 or 52V for a 16 cell battery, depending if it has a slightly high absorption voltage, or not.

Your battery manufacturer should supply these for you, but maybe post the charge settings and current cutoff/restart values.

edit:

The battery manual has a Victron section with all the necessary settings, if you don't have it, contact their support and ask for it.

Unfortunately it is not a supported battery so there is no Victron guide and the battery supplier needs to assist you.

screenshot-2024-03-31-at-124142.png

I could only find this one, no idea if it is up to date.

0 Likes 0 ·
gerhard-2 avatar image
gerhard-2 answered ·

Ok. Thanks

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic