question

Franc avatar image
Franc asked

MPPT type for 240 W HIT solar panel

Hi,

I have two independent Victron 180 W solar panel connected to MPPT 75/15. I have burned both MPPT 75/15, first by getting corroded connection, and second one by testing what exactly went wrong and mixed wires. Found also issue with MC4 connector.

I am planning later on to increase capacity from 360 W to 480 W using 2 x

240W HIT Panasonic Sanyo Solar Panel

The reason is that 240W HIT has exactly the same footprint as Victron 180W, as I do not want to increase boat windage and making installation simple task.

Victron online utility suggested to use MPPT 100/20 for HIT 240W. So I would like to buy two of MPPT 100/20 for couple extra bucks, instead of MPPT 75/15, one for each panel.

Questions:

Will Victron MPPT 100/20 work fine with single Victron 180W solar panel?

When I upgrade down the track, will MPPT 100/20 work fine with single 240 W HIT panasonic panel?

If you see any alternative solution, please advise

thanks Franc

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Franc. All of what you're thinking will work fine.

'Alternatives' might include combining the panels into a single larger mppt, but if you have selective shading you mightn't want to do that.

And if you could resuscitate one or both of those 75/15's, they would largely handle the output of 240W panels anyway. Specs fade a little in our imperfect world, and they'd likely rarely 'clip' at full charge V's.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Franc avatar image
Franc answered ·

Hi John,

would using MPPT 75/15 for 240W panel overheat MPPT 75/15?

I am happy to let go couple of amps above 15A limit.

thanks franc

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

15A is the design limit in the hardware. It should handle that fine, but won't produce more than that.

At a typical '12V' charge V of (say) 14.4V, that's 216W (peak). With a little conversion loss considered perhaps 220W from the panel itself. That's pretty good going in the real world from a 240W panel. Odds are the panels won't be orientated absolutely optimally anyway.

With 24V batts a 10A mppt would be enough.

Just me, but I'd have a go resuscitating the oldies by perhaps hardwiring past the burnt terminals. Up to you, mariners have plenty money, don't they? :)

0 Likes 0 ·