question

raph-a avatar image
raph-a asked

Victron Super Cycle AGM battery - Suitable for mobile solar panel?

Hello,

I am wondering if the "Victron 100Ah AGM Super Cycle Battery (12V)" is suitable for the permanent use with a small solar panel (120W). As this would mean, that the battery is going to be charged in small doses (e.g. when its cloudy). I am not sure if the battery can handle this over time, because the description doesn't mention the use for solar charging.

The reason why I want to have exactly this battery is, that it provides the highest capacity within the available socket (260 x 168 mm).

I am using a Victron 75/15 charger in my camper with a mobile 120W solar panel. My current 65Ah AGM battery has not enough capacity to power the fridge on a cloudy day when we have over 40 degrees celsius very long.

I hope you can give me your advise.

Thanks in advance!

Solar PanelAGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

A lithium drop-in is probably better suited to solar uses and allows deep discharging with a long life.

40C is not ideal for any electronics and will affect the life regardless.

How long the battery lasts will be down to how it is treated, ultimately lithium is much more forgiving, but lovers of lead will argue that a well looked after battery, will look after you ;)

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

raph-a avatar image raph-a commented ·
Thank you. Unfortunately, the budget does not cover lithium batteries.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ raph-a commented ·

You might be surprised. I recently started swapping smaller 100AH gel batteries with lower cost drop ins. Sure there was a bit of a cost premium, but it wasn’t that much and they had the exact same form factor. When I factored in the life of the one vs the other, the drop in was actually cheaper to own longer term.

If lead is all you can afford then your only option is to use conservative settings and to avoid repetitive deep cycling.

In a solar application (48V), warm climate and not dropping beneath 70% we managed to wear them out in 2.5 years.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic