question

Randy Goodman avatar image
Randy Goodman asked

Best Design Approach

Being new to NodeRed(NR) and wanting to build an app to manage all I can via NR what is the best choices to make from the start. Eventually I want to run on Windows11 and access Victron remotely. I have downloaded\installed NR and the Victron node on W11. Also have enabled Large OS on CerboGX.

what interface protocol to I choose, mqtt, modbus, or something else.
will other 3rd party software be required (need to minimize
is using to flow editor the ide of choice

system design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Moving to mods.

There is no need to run it on your laptop. It runs on the Cerbo where the nodes will run locally, you will access and configure it remotely via your browser.

No need to worry about protocols, thats what the nodes are for.

Suggest you watch the 3-part NR introduction on the victron yootoob channel.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Randy Goodman answered ·

i did watch the vids, 3 times. I prefer to run on laptop for now. I do not want to put my code on the cerbo if it can run effectively on laptop.

3 comments
2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·

HI @Randy Goodman

The other option is dbus via tcp.

More detail of the benefits/risks of doing that can be found here:

node-red-contrib-victron (node) - Node-RED (nodered.org)

I agree wit Nick, personally find it easier just using the stock install on gx device.

0 Likes 0 ·
Randy Goodman avatar image Randy Goodman matt1309 commented ·
Thx! This is good info for me as I am learning these tools. Guess I don't understand why I would develop on my "prod" box(live cerbo), vs my dev(windows11). Seems I would risk breaking my cerbo if I did something wrong. Anyways, what I end up with I want to run\access via laptop\android.

Being in the early learning stage, there's surely a lot of "big picture" angles I am unaware of. Hoping to gain on some via this thread and others doing similar. My initial take has lots of "knowledge" missing for me to grasp the big pic of my final working app. Not in big rush to get done, so long as I can get feedback from these types of forums I should eventually get it.

Any examples of what you are suggesting would be helpful....

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
matt1309 avatar image matt1309 Randy Goodman commented ·
Ahh i see. I would say if you want separate prod/dev environments then you probably don't want to use dbus over tcp. As that's essentially accessing/connecting to "prod" environment from another system laptop.

Personally I just use debug nodes to ensure my flows are working as expected.

Can even go a step further and get push notification on events to alert you something has happened as a form of long term debugging before you implement actions.

For example say your flows are reading sensors/doing calcs and if a condition is met it performs an action.

Just replace that action with a push notification. That way you can debug your flows over time on the prod system without the action activating/no hard to system if it's wrong.

0 Likes 0 ·
Randy Goodman answered ·

My env consists of a cerbogx with latest official build of firmware, with venus os large enabled, remote on lan enabled, 2way comm enabled, and remote support. Also have nodered and the victron nodes installed on my w11 box.

Nick, are u saying get rid of my w11 install and just work directly via cerbo as I have been doing on w11?

5 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Yip. That is the most seamless way of doing it and keeping it current.

The cerbo runs it brilliantly, is always on and unaffected by network reliability.

It is also more secure as you don’t need to expose the unprotected mqtt ports.

0 Likes 0 ·
Randy Goodman avatar image Randy Goodman nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
K, then this approach is new to me, so I have ??s.

1. how do I seperate a test vs prod env?
  2. can i still run my final app on my andriod and w11 devices
  3. if i build a ui will it work from various devices.

can you share a snippet of code\flow that would do this? I have a bmv712 connected and accessing data now on the cerbo. how would i deploy and access via web\android?

Thx!

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Randy Goodman commented ·

Ultimately it is connected to one inverter environment, so you can't exactly separate into a test/prod environment.

A flow will run anywhere, though you will need to reconfigure the nodes when you import it elsewhere.

When I test, I have it send the desired change to a debug node or a test dashboard so I can be sure the logic is working without having it actually sent to the system itself.

Once I am happy it works I will connect the output to a writeable node.

The UI/dashboard (when loaded on the cerbo) is accessible remotely via VRM - both dash 1 and 2.0 supported.

The dashboards are just a web page, that any suitable browser will render.

Here are some examples of mine.

Dash 2.0

screenshot-2024-03-28-at-173219.png

Heatpumps:

screenshot-2024-03-28-at-173229.png

Dash 1screenshot-2024-03-28-at-173311.png

All available to me via VRM large image tab, or locally on the LAN.

0 Likes 0 ·
Randy Goodman avatar image Randy Goodman nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
how would u access a flow via android or via w11 laptop?
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Randy Goodman commented ·
Via the local https urls or vrm
0 Likes 0 ·
Randy Goodman answered ·

Another thought about my env comes to mind.

i see a lot of folks running on PI device vs cerbo. What is the reason for doing this setup any different than me running on w11 vs cerbo?

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

The PI just replaces the Cerbo but it still runs the same venus OS and architecture. It is not a separate device just running node red.

PI's tend to be cheaper, and in some cases were a bit faster, but are unsupported.

There is nothing stopping you uncoupling node red, that is your choice. It is just a road less travelled and I am not sure what the benefits are, unless you intend creating some seriously resource intensive flows.

I have not managed to slow down my cerbo yet, the venus got a bit challenging but this has more grunt, and the ekrano has even more.

0 Likes 0 ·
jason-lane avatar image jason-lane commented ·
Some (like me) might also have an older GX device that can't run Node Red natively, necessitating a separate device for Node Red.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic