question

felicem avatar image
felicem asked

Voltage surges while charging the batteries

I am using MQTT on a Quattro 3 phase system with solar and lithium batteries for some reporting and automation.

I capture N/c0619ab616b2/grid/30/Ac/L1/Voltage, L2 and L3 to monitor the input voltage. I noted that when the chargers are working, the voltage measurements show quite high surgers/spikes. See chart. I wonder where such voltage is measured internally if before or after the input filter because it makes the inverter appearing quite bad. Any idea?

screenshot-2024-03-25-alle-104002.png

overvoltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Are you exporting power?

How does the grid voltage spiking make the inverter look bad?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

felicem avatar image
felicem answered ·

It is not the grid voltage spiking but the inverter generating spikes. If such voltage is measured internally after the input filter it may not affect the grid and what is connected to it. However, if it is measured before the input filter it would affect equipment connected nearby. I do not have a scope to do such measurement this is why I am asking where it is measured. The spikes rise up to 280V on a 240V input. That's not good! As I said, those are the voltage values from the Cerbo's MQTT. In the screen shot here below you see the 3 phases. Two of them spikes quite high. I am not exporting power. The system is used as storage and backup for the load shedding we have multiple times a day.

screenshot-2024-03-26-at-035856.png

screenshot-2024-03-26-at-040819.png

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@FeliceM

It is raw data, usually a filter to modify what you see (RMS readings) is applied. But normally peak to peaks quite high on AC voltage.

What is possibly happening is the inductance of the inverter is changing during charging messing with that because of the mechanism used to change the power flow.

Just guessing. Not a Victron engineer.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic