question

gumpi avatar image
gumpi asked

Two separated Housebanks. Two Orion 48-12 -> one consumer

On the catamarans of our sailing school we have torqeedo electric motors with 48v torqeedo batteries. everything in dual version, separated and only connected by ground. Can we now connect an orion 48-12 isolated to each battery, with the same consumer? i.e. in parallel, but different batteries?

Thank you!

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @gumpi

You could do this, but the 48V units have no means of display, and it may be difficult to determine if one is dominating the load. The V output is set manually with a screwdriver, so may need a bit of work to balance them.

They have Remote ports though, so it's easy to set up (say) toggle switches, or even automate switching them in.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gumpi avatar image
gumpi answered ·

Thank you, that's a good hint. but it's not that important for us, as the electric motors always draw slightly unequal current and we can use it to compensate for unequal charge levels. what would happen if we draw more load than the orions supply? scenario: both orions are running at 70% load. then one battery switches off. so i have 140% load on one orion, what happens then?

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@gumpi

Probably voltage sag. That said, I have an early model 48/12 which supposedly will deliver overspec Amps, but derate when it gets hot. This was possibly changed later to a fixed A limit, but I can't confirm that.

0 Likes 0 ·