question

Chris Mitchell avatar image
Chris Mitchell asked

Best way to use a Blue Smart IP65 12-Volt 25 amp 230V, Battery Charger in a Caravan?

I have semi permanently installed a Blue Smart IP65 12v 25A 230V charger in my caravan. When on mains hook up with the charger connected too the battery, what is the recommended way to use the Blue Smart to supply 12v to the ‘van. Should I leave it in charger mode or switch it to power supply mode and set the voltage to, say, 13.8v?

leisure batteries
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
theo74 avatar image
theo74 answered ·

The Blue Smart battery chargers have the possibility to work as a stable voltage supply with limited current. In your case 25A continuous. Handy when the battery is dead, or if there is no battery.

The stable voltage supply is not ment to be used when a battery is connected, and will be charged. The maximum and continuous available current is not suitable to safely charge a battery.

In this case you need to set the Blue Smart charger to 'charge' function with the correct charging settings.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Chris Mitchell avatar image
Chris Mitchell answered ·

Thanks Theo,

So, to clarify, in my scenario, connected to an external 230v supply, with the battery connected to the charger, should I just leave the charger in charge mode and draw 12v from the connected battery? I assume this is how a normal caravan power supply system works?

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Yes, no need to set it to power supply, it will drop to float voltage when the battery is full and charge as needed. You'll probably need to second guess this with the rebulk current setting.

If you do set to to power supply, set voltage to float value, not absorption or higher.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic