question

sangre avatar image
sangre asked

Super cycle agms on boat stored for the season

Greetings All,

I will store my boat with 10 supercycle agms for appx. 7 months. I have solar/mppt, a skylla-I charger and access to shore power. What is the best and safest way to store my batteries? Charge and let them sit? Trickle solar? Trickle charger? I want to keep them for a long time. Thanks for your time.

leisure batteries
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
christern avatar image
christern answered ·

When I store my boat for winter season I usually charge the batteries full when on shore. I leave all connections and cables as they are and top up the batteries once a month since I have the possibility to do so since I go to the boat every now and then to get some improvements done.

Without any major things connected I still have a draw of about 1 A (meters, regulators etc) which I balance with this top up. Since I live in the cold North (Sweden) I could disconnect all cables from batteries and do without any top-ups during winter season - if I would't be there at all. The self discharge is lower in cold weather.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sangre avatar image sangre commented ·
Thank you for your reply. I will not be on the boat. My preference is to turn everything off and let slowly discharge. Spec says less than 2% per month at 20c. Preveza, Greece will be that and colder the entire time. Has anyone put this to the test with this brand of battery? Should I have someone come on board to top up on month 3?
0 Likes 0 ·
christern avatar image christern sangre commented ·
If specs say <2% I would trust that and since the temperature will be less than on specs I would trust the self discharge will be lower.

Make sure you disconnect the batteries. Disconnecting + would do.

1 Like 1 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

As you have solar, leave it on. Sure, disconnect loads, but keeping solar on to balance self discharge is good.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic