question

samicoman avatar image
samicoman asked

MPPT limited, only getting half of what my 10kW off-grid system should output

Hello,

I've been searching through existing questions, I've also asked my "certified" Victron installer and I can't seem to find an answer.

I have a 10kW Quattro + 450/200 charge controller + 10kWp of solar facing South (not at a great angle but still) running off-grid.

No matter what I do, I cannot get this system to output more than 4.3kWh which sounds wrong in my opinion.

I understand there are losses due to heat & the angle the panels are mounted (~20 deg.) but I cannot accept a 50-60% loss when the sun is shinning bright around noon.

Based on what I see on the GX device, there seem to be a limit on the charger as it peaks at 4.0A per tracker. But I cannot find that limit.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

remote-console-on-lan.png

screenshot-from-2024-03-22-09-59-54.png

screenshot-from-2024-03-22-09-59-31.png

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerMPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

Are they all on the same angle?

What is the panel specs and config exactly? Tracker 1 and 2 evenly producing. Tracker 3 higher, tracker 4 lower. The amps tracked should be the close to the imp of the panels.

If you switch off panels to a tracker do any of the others increase production? Can they because of config?

On the RS itself in its internal config, has any charge limit been set?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

samicoman avatar image samicoman commented ·

I did not knew I had to connect directly to the charger to access additional configuration. I have just installed the app & connected via Bluetooth and I was able to increase the charging limit. Now I'm getting 8-9kWh out of my 10kWh system. Thanks a lot!

(My "certified" Victron installer did not knew either)

2 Likes 2 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ samicoman commented ·

Neat. (Was starting to run out of ideas ;)

If you haven't done so, do the firmware update, the newer FWs have improved performance as well.

1 Like 1 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

There is no per tracker limit, by default it will have a global 200A charge limit, so if you aren't seeing PV generation, either your system does not want to charge the battery (I see you have a BMV and a CAN BMS, hopefully the right one is configured as the source in the GX), or your panels aren't optimal.

On a good day you will lose 1/3 of the rated power, more if your panels are less optimally installed, that's before temperature is considered.

Have you checked DVCC and made sure no limits are set there?

1 comment
2 |3000

I did check DVCC, have doubled the limits and nothing changed.

screenshot-from-2024-03-22-10-49-35.png

screenshot-from-2024-03-22-10-49-54.png

The CAN BMS is in use, if I understand things right. The BMV doesn't do anything.

I managed to catch the system in a different state. One of the strings were slightly shadowed and then one of the others supplied more so that the overall output is the same:

screenshot-from-2024-03-22-10-44-56.png

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

You have limited your charge voltage in DVCC, which you should not do.

At 84% your battery is already almost at this voltage so it won't pull more power.

Unfortunately when you adjust settings without understanding the implications, this is what will happen.

Remove the CCL and CVL limit in DVCC, there is no need for that with a managed battery.

That should allow the system to charge properly and ramp PV production.

2 comments
2 |3000

O did disable CVL and CCL and nothing changed.

I even went one step further and removed one of the 4 strings and the PV production remained the same.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ samicoman commented ·

120A @53v is 6360kw. Only seeing 4308kw. So might be part of it. But not all of the issue.

The only other way to make sure the BMS is not being sneaky is to disconnect the RS and program for stand alone and see if it ramps up not connected to the system.

Simplest way of working out if it is config or system problem.

1 Like 1 ·
Alex Pescaru avatar image
Alex Pescaru answered ·

Salut,

Pune un consumator aditional de 1-2kW, o aeroterma ceva, si vezi daca se mareste productia.

Daca da, si este mai mare de 4kW, atunci e o chestie de consum si MPPT-ul considera ca nu e nevoie de mai mult.

Daca nu, atunci e o limitare din alta parte.

Faptul ca dupa eliminarea unui string productia a fost la fel, si a compensat prin celelalte string-uri, ma duce cu gandul la primul caz.

Trebuie sa iei in consideratie ca MPPT-ul suplineste ceea ce dispare din baterie, deoarece toti sunt conectati pe aceeasi bara de curent continuu de 48V. Si daca bateria, fiind full, suplineste o parte din consum, pana se vede asta si scade tensiunea pe ea, MPPT-ul nu va mari productia sa aduca tensiunea la aceeasi valoare de full. Si bateriile de tip Li au o variatie lenta a tensiunii cu consumul...

Alex

2 |3000